Data Scientist II
To inform and educate Vanguard about clients and prospects through descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive analytic insights.
1. Leads and executes analytic projects to provide insight into client needs and behavior, supporting marketing and client servicing decisions. Serves as the analytics expert on cross functional teams for large strategic initiatives. Serves as own Project Manager and Relationship Manager for smaller projects.
2. Engages with project sponsors and stakeholders to understand each business question. Probes for hidden questions and goals. Brings structure to each request and translates requirements into an analytic approach.
3. Acquires structured and unstructured data and prepares it for analysis. Investigates, extracts, cleans, transforms, QCs and manages data using SQL and Base SAS programming techniques. Identifies and diagnoses data inconsistencies and errors, forages to fill data gaps and blazes new data trails.
4. Analyzes data to describe client behavior and preferences, understand channel usage, diagnose client experience problems, size marketing opportunity, target clients for treatment and measure the impact of marketing and servicing initiatives. Identifies and utilizes appropriate analytic methods and specialized tools to generate insights, answer the business questions and fulfill project objectives. Seeks out innovative approaches and techniques.
5. Prepares and delivers insight presentations and action recommendations. Communicates complex material in layman's terms. Guides business partners on the interpretation, implications and use of analytic results. Consults on statistical problems (test design, significance testing, confidence intervals, weighting).
6. Develops and applies domain knowledge of Vanguard's businesses and data to shape the analytic road map.
7. Contributes to the growth of the analytic community. Mentors analysts.
8. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as required.
Graduate degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering, Operations Research, Physics, or other relevant scientific field. PhD degree preferred.
• A minimum of five years general experience and five years relevant professional experience in progressive analytical roles.
• Deep understanding and experience building models using Machine Learning & Optimization methods such as: Linear/Non-Linear/Integer programming, Deep Learning, Random Forests, GBM, Hidden Markov Models, SVM, Regression (Generalized linear models), MLE, Time-series analysis, Signal Processing, , Decision Trees (CART/CHAID), Neural Networks
• Demonstrated industry experience applying the above methods to complex business problems thereby generating insights and providing best in class customer-driven solutions
• Demonstrated experience in managing and leading large complex projects, including (but not limited to) formulating the business and analytical problem, extracting, cleansing, and manipulating large, and diverse data sets, building descriptive, predictive and prescriptive solutions and deploying these solutions in the cloud and/or on premise systems
• Demonstrated experience in communicating complex analytical solutions, data relationships and results and their business impacts to multiple business partners and stakeholders, through superior data visualization and storytelling skills.
• Strong proficiency in programming skills, such as SAS, Python, R, Spark, Scala.
• Experience with data visualization tools such as D3.js, Tableau etc.
• Knowledge of financial services and marketing.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Brokerage Investment Professional, Malvern, PA
Claire ensures that Vanguard clients have all the important and necessary industry information in order to make the best decisions for their personal investments.
Back to top