Data Governance and Risk Leader
- Malvern, PA
Vanguard has an exciting opportunity for a Data Governance and Risk leader! In this role, you will focus on building and leading a best-in-class Data Governance function globally. Are you ready to make a difference?
The Data Risk Leader will establish the enterprise data policies, practices and frameworks to create transparency to data risks and build the data governance strategy. This individual will monitor and provide oversight to the domestic and international data risk exposures, and ensure they are managed and mitigated. The Data Risk Leader works closely with the Head of Enterprise Data Management and the Head of Privacy, who lead the data management technical infrastructure and privacy regulations. This individual will work with these teams to build an integrated set of systems and practices as data is a strategic asset used by leaders in driving decisions and to realize strategic goals. This role will lead a team of data professionals responsible for implementing and operating the data governance processes to execute, federate and adapt data strategy across operational businesses. This individual will collaborate with senior divisional leaders and business partners to better anticipate and mitigate significant data risks.
In this role, you will: Lead staff. Provide mentorship, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hire, evaluate and counsel staff. Develop data policies, framework and governance practices. Advise management on data policy, create awareness of impact of domestics and international data laws and regulations and the potential risk exposures to business practices. Support, guide, and advise Business leaders throughout the organization with respect to data across the data lifecycle. Consult with Business leaders to implement enterprise-wide data privacy policies and procedures across all divisions and departments. Conduct data risk assessments to identify potential issues by division and department. Work with business teams to prioritize activities to reduce data risks. Monitor and enforce organizational performance against data-specific goals and standards, maximizing value, and mitigating risks. Partner with other shared services groups to create, maintain and enforce data privacy policies and procedures. Establishes KPI's and KRI's related to data that is published to the enterprise and business data/risk councils. Primary day-to-day responsibility for monitoring the implementation and effectiveness of data policies and procedures across the enterprise. Participate in industry data governance organizations, alliances and associations to integrate best practices into Vanguard. Leads special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience (Master's or professional degree preferred).
- Minimum 8 years' relevant work experience in privacy, regulatory compliance, information systems, internal audit, risk & control, fraud, information security, business contingency, or process improvement disciplines.
- Broad understanding/familiarity with Vanguard's business and the investment industry.
- Demonstrated ability to develop quickly a command of new concepts, including domestic and international privacy laws and data security best practices and complete multiple and diverse assignments with the highest level of accuracy and quality.
- Demonstrated ability to translate technical, regulatory and legal requirements into a clear, understandable framework that is actionable by the business.
- Demonstrated understanding of how to balance practical business realities with risk mitigation needs.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse group of professionals and skilled at working through others along with experience in building and leading teams.
- Superior organizational and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to collaborate successfully up, down and sideways in the organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including strong presentation skills to senior management.
- The ability to work in an ad-hoc/dynamic and fast-paced environment with frequent time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent influencing, facilitation, and partnering skills.
- Excellent project management and prioritization skills.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top