Counsel, Global Privacy Program
- Malvern, PA
Vanguard is a leading provider of financial products and services to individual and institutional investors world-wide. In addition, Vanguard is an employer of choice that continually invests in the growth, development and success of its employees (crew members) over the course of their Vanguard careers. Vanguard's Office of the General Counsel addresses a wide range of complex and compelling legal and compliance issues. To continue to support its growing business, Vanguard is seeking a Counsel for our Global Privacy Program to lead both domestic and international privacy laws and regulations, while continuing to evolve the capabilities of the function.
Candidates must share Vanguard's core values, including unmatched ethical standards and client service, strong work ethic, and can-do attitude. Candidates must champion a team environment by building collaborative, trusting relationships with others through effective communication, empathy and respect and advancing the development and success of their colleagues. Additionally, you must be skilled at optimally collaborating with, enabling, working through, and influencing legal colleagues, in-house corporate partners, and business clients at all levels, including senior management.
In this role you will....
- Leads staff. Provides mentorship, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hires, evaluates and counsels personnel. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures
- Provides advice, counseling and education to internal clients and business units (BUs) in order to help ensure Vanguard's compliance with applicable privacy laws and regulations (domestic and international).
- Excellent in-depth understanding and working experience with privacy laws and regulations such as GDPR, CCPA, GLBA and other state privacy laws, as well as experience with implementing these laws and regulations across an organization.
- Leads complex, cross-functional projects with stakeholders / partners from the Office of General Counsel, Risk, IT and other functions and businesses related to privacy and information lifecycle management.
- Maintains a high level of expertise in privacy law, Vanguard's business, and the mutual fund industry.
- Demonstrates judgment, creativity and technical expertise, breadth of vision and initiative, commitment and accomplishment, communication skills, and leadership in a manner expected of role models and leaders of the Office of General Counsel.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Law degree (J.D.)
- Minimum 5 years' relevant work experience with privacy laws and/or privacy programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including strong presentation skills to senior management.
- Exceptional leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated persuasive and influencing capabilities.
- Ability to work quickly and independently with attention to detail and sensitivity to deadlines.
- Self-starter and willing to take action.
- Demonstrated client relationship and communication skills.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top