Common Storage Manager
Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Common Storage Manager to manage common storage staff and IT vendor personnel who install, configure, test, and monitor the performance and availability of all enterprise storage subsystems, including optical and tape hardware, in a multi-host environment. To manage the testing, evaluation, and selection of IT vendor products and services. To manage and approve business division charge back allocations for common storage usage
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Manages common storage staff who install, configure, test, and monitor the performance and availability of all enterprise storage subsystems, including optical and tape hardware, for the Production, test, performance, and business continuance environments. Hires, evaluates, and counsels staff. Provides guidance, training, and motivation to develop staff. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends salary actions in accordance with HR policies and procedures.
2. Manages IT vendor personnel. Manages the testing, evaluation, and selection of IT vendor products and services. Manages relationships with vendors. Approves common storage procurement requests for IT Asset Management and Corporate Procurement.
3. Manages and approves business division charge back allocations for common storage usage.
4. Manages the planning and implementation of enterprise-wide common storage projects, including deliverables, schedule, resources, and communication of project status. Manages the resolution of Tier 3 common storage issues elevated from the Support Center and other Technical Services groups.
5. Manages the development of technical standards, policies and procedures, system monitoring and automation activities, troubleshooting, and installation and/or migration of software, tools, and/or hardware.
6. Works closely with leads to develop and implement staffing and operational plans. Participates in the development of short and long term department goals.
7. Develops and implements changes to department policies and procedures to meet changing business needs. Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement. Leads quality initiatives to improve the delivery of service levels.
8. Presents reports, metrics, and department initiatives at meetings with IT, business division, and Corporate Procurement management peers.
9. Develops and implements operational plans to achieve department objectives. Works with Principal and senior management in the planning, development, and execution of short and long range goals
10. Participates in the development of the department budget. Reviews expenses and ensures department operates within budgetary guidelines.
11. Ensures staff complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Ensures staff complies with HR and Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
12. Manages special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should possess
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience, with graduate degree, preferred.
- Ten years’ common storage experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including interviewing and presentation skills.
- Excellent analysis and problem solving skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Expert knowledge of the following common storage practices and concepts: Common storage IT vendor customer council functions, including beta testing, security, and product enhancements, Common storage best practices, IT service level agreements, IT project planning, Optical, tape, and disk storage, Logic and physical placement of data on each platform, LAN/WAN environments, Internet protocols (e.g., TCP/IP), Software and/or hardware setup and configuration , System log files, tasks, account management, and commands.
- Expert knowledge of multiple IT platforms: AS/400m, Client/server, IBM mainframe, Microsoft Windows NT, Optical and tape systems, OS/390, UNIX.
- Expert knowledge of current versions of the following products:CNT channel extenders, EMC hardware and software (especially Connectrix, Volume Logics, SRDF, and TimeFinder), Lotus Notes, Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Project, Optical and tape hardware and software (especially STK and IBM), Veratos Volume Manager, Visio.
- Membership in one or more common storage IT vendor customer councils:EMC , STK.
- Manages four to seven common storage staff and up to ten IT vendor personnel.
- Manages annual budget of $30M
- Remote and off hours support
- On call
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top