Category Strategist- IT, Enterprise Supply Managment
Vanguard's Enterprise Supply Management Division (ESM) serves a key control function for Vanguard by managing the enterprise-wide, end-to-end purchasing experience.
ESM provides business clients with the expertise necessary to maximize those relationships. ESM organization was created to proactively identify opportunities with suppliers and capture significantly greater value for our business units and our client-owners. While saving dollars and cents on individual contracts is valuable, the group also acts to ensure business units select suppliers that closely align with Vanguard's interests (like securing sensitive data or providing best-in-class client service) and fostering strategic relationships with more innovative partners.
ESM is on a mission to deliver the following key benefits to Vanguard:
•\tBetter decision support and transparency of decisions for the enterprise-we want our clients to be able to make data-driven decisions with clear visibility and a consistent decision-making framework
•\tImproved control and compliance-we are a complex organization with a myriad of risks. We need to make sure the right enabling partners are involved and we have a framework that ensures we have the appropriate checks and balances
•\tIncreased value-through a combination of supply, demand, and process management, we can deliver value through cost savings, reduced risk, and increased process efficiency.
This Category Strategist role will actively participate in the strategic sourcing activities for a category of spend, with the goal of achieving significant initial cost reductions, while maintaining/improving product quality and supplier service levels.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plays an integral role in strategic sourcing efforts for a key spend strategy. Specializes by developing deep expertise in a particular category (i.e., IT, Professional Services, Crew-Related [Human Resources], Office G&A).
- Performs IT category strategy work integrating business demand, supplier relationships, and source-to-pay processes into a multi-year plan.
•Plans and executes strategic deals with >$1M value, complex terms/conditions, and/or significant risk profiles.
•Works closely with business requesters to develop short and long term demand profiles.
•Maintains close relationships with risk partners to balance risk against cost and cycle time.
- Partners with the Category Manager in developing and executing the category strategy to drive maximum value.
- Understands the needs and objectives of Divisions and functional constituents. Identifies and keenly understands potential linkages between Vanguard's business needs and the relevant industry's trends.
- Ensures that best practices in the sourcing process are followed. Engages risk stakeholders as needed for sourcing activity.
- Performs market data analysis and clean-sheet analysis for negotiations and supplier selection.
- Leads high-complexity SOW type of sourcing events on behalf of the Category Manager.
- Champions sourcing process compliance.
- Drafts the business terms portion of contracts in collaboration with Legal & Compliance and the Sourcing Operations contracting team.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- An undergraduate degree required.
- Minimum five years general experience with a minimum of two years of experience in financial services.
- Ability to learn content quickly and apply a strategic lens to category spend.
- Apply critical thinking to demand requests and build consensus on efficient solution.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong project management and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Takes ownership of projects by actively seeking out input from category managers.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Brokerage Investment Professional, Malvern, PA
Claire ensures that Vanguard clients have all the important and necessary industry information in order to make the best decisions for their personal investments.
Back to top