Brokerage Regulatory Accountant
To collect and maintain accurate financial information used for internal and external financial, regulatory and tax reporting for U.S entities. To understand and effectively execute accounting processes and controls, and to work closely with business unit counterparts to optimize
efficiency of corporate accounting processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Executes the full range of monthly accounting close activities for Vanguard Marketing Corporation, ensuring the proper recording of financial activities according to US accounting and reporting standards, statutory reporting requirements, and Corporate policies. Prepares monthly general ledger account reconciliations and reviews, approves, and posts journal entries.
- Prepares the weekly Customer Reserve calculation in accordance with SEA rule 15c3-3. Ensures accuracy of figures through analysis of BETA and Specialty Brokerage Operation (SBO) reports. Identifies significant variances compared to prior calculations. Conducts weekly meetings to review variances and other material items.
- Assists with the preparation of the monthly FOCUS report to be filed with FINRA, including Vanguard Marketing Corporation's (VMC) Net Capital calculation prepared in accordance with SEA rule 15c3-1, Balance Sheet, Income Statement, and Operational Data information. Identifies and researches critical month over month variances and documents findings.
- Assists with preparation of the Prepares quarterly Certification Packet consisting of full financials, footnotes, executive summaries of the balance sheet and income statement, and select variance analyses.
- Works with PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PWC) during the annual financial statement audit. Prepares information for the auditors, including full audited financials to be bound and sent to regulators and other interested third parties. Answers all auditor inquiries.
- Provides support for VMC during annual regulatory audits with FINRA and the SEC when present. Works with Compliance, Legal, and SBO to respond timely and accurately to all exam requests within tight deadlines. Participates in exam meetings with regulators.
- Identifies issues independently. Works with internal business contacts to research issues, develop recommendations, and resolve routine issues.
- Assists in recommendations, design, and implementation of internal control procedures that ensure proper recording and reporting of financial position and prevent significant errors in accounting records and process changes to improve accuracy, consistency and efficiency improvements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree (in accounting or finance preferred) or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years general experience and one year related financial accounting experience.
- Working knowledge of GAAP, internal controls, general ledger account analysis and reconciliation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Broker-Dealer experience is a plus.
- Accounting software and spreadsheet software experience, PeopleSoft is a plus.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top