Brokerage Operations Manager - Malvern, PA or Scottsdale, AZ
Job Profile Summary
To lead the multi-site specialty brokerage operations (SBO) functions. To ensure that all money management operations functions are completed as required by industry and regulatory guidelines. To effectively evaluate and continuously improve the structure of SBO through implementing new capabilities, services, and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage staff, creating a strong team atmosphere. Conduct regular one-on-one meetings and provide guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hire, evaluate and counsel personnel. Follow corporate performance management procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Set performance standards, review performance, provide feedback, and recommend wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
Leads and manages specialty brokerage money management operations related functions for RIG Operations across multiple sites including Money Movement, Credit/Margin, and Securities, Receipts, and Transfers (SRT). Ensures timely and thorough coordination with VMC Treasury to ensure accurate firm money movement, customer reserve calculations, and regulatory reporting.
Oversees multiple end-to-end business processes to ensure compliance with SEC and FINRA regulations. Provides second-level interpretation of SEC and FINRA rules and regulations. This includes all aspects of change management, legal and compliance issues, service, operations interfaces with legacy systems, workflow and procedures, testing requirements, reporting budget, and benefits measurement.
Reviews all applicable current and future regulatory requirements in order to ensure effective Written Supervisory Procedures (WSP) are in place. Enhances procedures commensurate with changes in market regulation. Utilizes the necessary FINRA securities licenses, acts as the Registered Principal Responsible for several WSP to ensure they are updated and followed. Ensures proper identification and training of delegates.
Protects and enhances Vanguard's reputation through continued efforts to strengthen and improve SBO's compliance activities. Partners with various Vanguard departments including Legal, Risk, and Compliance to analyze and resolve potential compliance issues and is proactive in monitoring changes in the regulatory environment. Ensures readiness for regulatory inspections and examinations.
Leads, sponsors, and motivates SBO toward meeting overall business plan objectives and other desired results by helping to set and executing on strategy. Promotes cohesiveness and cooperation within the department and with other RIG business partners; communicates and reviews all Vanguard crew policies to staff in a timely manner; follows up on implementation of policies to ensure that they are consistently applied.
Demonstrates initiative and creativity in developing strategy plans and goals for SBO; provides support and guidance to SBO Department Head by assessing internal and external client needs as a basis for recommending service enhancements while addressing the regulatory and operational related risks that are inherent in brokerage operations. Seeks ways to control costs while minimizing reputation, regulatory, legal, and monetary risk to RIG and Vanguard overall.
Makes key decisions that help provide strategic direction for SBO. Uses the necessary authority to help make these strategic decisions and oversee the business unit.
Manages relationships with external partners, and key vendor providers. Represents the firm on industry groups and committees related to brokerage operations.
Participates in all aspects of annual business planning and long-term strategic direction for the department and Vanguard. Understands the financial dynamics of the business forecast and proactively manages business segment expenses appropriately.
Maintains an appropriate level of Vanguard and industry knowledge; keeps current on Vanguard and policies and objectives, continues to expand knowledge of the business and industry, keeps current on competition.
- Coordinates activities and interacts extensively across departmental lines. Manages and/or participates in special project and cross-functional teams/initiatives as needed and performs other duties as assigned.
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of eight years of related experience, including progressive management responsibilities. Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience in the financial markets environment.
- Deep understanding of securities industry operations and regulations.
- FINRA Series 7, 24, 27, and 63 licenses or ability to attain licenses in accordance with departmental policies.
- Excellent analytical, communication and problem solving skills.
- The ability to demonstrate executive presence and to influence others in the industry.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Proven ability to improve the business through positive and productive change.
- Detailed knowledge of the financial industry including the rules and regulations that govern the markets.
- There will be some travel required including industry forums and meetings with various market participants, and visits to the Vanguard Pennsylvania and Arizona sites.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top