Brokerage Operations Line Manager
To bring leadership, oversight and accountability to Brokerage Operations in the Retail Investor Group (RIG) and to ensure that operational work is accurately and efficiently processed while servicing clients and protecting the firm from financial loss and liability
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages supervisory and/or other exempt-level staff. Provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hires, evaluates and counsels crew. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Leads, develops, implements and provides the ongoing management of one or more of the following Transfer Agent and Broker Dealer Brokerage Operations end-to-end processes: Purchases, Account Services, Address Changes, Account Maintenance, or Redemptions. Negotiates resolution to understaffing situations with Flexible Operations and RIG (Retail Investor Group) Shared Services on a \"day-to-day basis\" and offers alternatives for maximizing the benefit of excess staffing periods.
- Leads the development of risk mitigation strategy and process improvement for said functions. Identifies, evaluates and mitigates risk to business objectives, process workflows and service initiatives. Identifies and assesses risk mitigation techniques. Leads the partnership with Compliance, Internal Audit and Legal to ensure risk mitigation efforts, both tactically and strategically, are agreed upon and aligned with overall corporate direction.
- Ensures that all processes are done in compliance with SEC and FINRA rules and regulations. Provides second-level interpretation of SEC and FINRA rules and regulations and develops the ability to communicate with Regulators as needed. Performs supervisory duties as it relates to Written Supervisory Procedures (WSPs).
- Adheres to corporate and departmental business risk management policies and procedures. Maintains client confidentiality.
- Participates in development of periodic business plans, budgets and priority setting. Analyzes departmental statistics and prepares management reports. Uses available data to monitor problems and measure success.
- Monitors industry and identifies best practices and regulatory changes issued by FINRA and SEC. Works with Shareholder Compliance, Legal, Risk, and Control to develop and implement Vanguard positions and responses to the industry.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships. Assists in the identification, assessment, mitigation and monitoring of risks, provides education, and reports risk management results. Prepares plans and works to correct internal control weaknesses or regulatory gaps with the management team, Internal Audit, Shareholder Compliance, Legal, Risk and Control, and other appropriate parties.
- Uses Six Sigma and Lean methodologies to analyze work processes and quality issues. Designs and develops the most efficient, cost-effective and flexible methods to improve the client experience and processes without impacting Vanguard quality and services. Focuses on continuous process improvement by reviewing items such as departmental activities and technological innovations.
- Understands new technologies and demonstrates the ability to champion business needs for enhancement. Assesses impact of new technologies on the business and proposes business cases to influence funding. Oversees planning and implementation of technology projects while supporting acceptance testing.
- Manages the efficiency and effectiveness within the department. Sets measureable goals and examines ways to raise standards, improve quality, and improve overall performance of the department. Monitors department progress and measures departmental success consistent with Lean Management and Operational Management methodologies.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required. Graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum five years general experience and five years industry experience.
- FINRA Series 7, 24 and 63 required or the ability to obtain within 90 days.
- Exceptional client relationship, leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; Working knowledge of LEAN methodologies
- Strong knowledge of Vanguard funds and broker/dealer operations preferred, including understanding of SEC/FINRA rules and regulations
- Ability to work quickly and independently with attention to detail and sensitivity to deadlines.
- Demonstrated proficiency related to understanding control functions and reconciliation preferred.
- Strong PC skills (Microsoft Office).
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top