Big Data and Analytics Developer
To provide senior level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for mainframe-, client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based systems.
Cloud, analytics and data technologies have earned a place as one of the core disruptors in business and IT. In 2017, the Financial Advisor Services (FAS) group is investing in a data analytics program to enable the business to gain new insights, to quickly make critical business decisions, and to provide a personalized digital experience. This exciting position will provide an opportunity to work in this rapidly evolving, hot space in IT, with a great team!
The ideal candidate would have:
- Interest in learning new things
- Technical aptitude to quickly learn new things and initiative to stay current, as Cloud, Data and Analytics are rapidly evolving in the industry
- Solid relationship management skills, as the team collaborates externally with vendors and internally with many business and IT areas to quickly deliver true business value to the FAS business.
- A background in data, with reporting and analytics a plus
- Experience with java, REST, and AWS a plus
- Vendor Product Evaluation and integration experience a plus
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides senior level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based software or middleware. Integrates third party products.
- Translates technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for new or enhancement projects for internal clients. Develops code and test artifacts that reuse subroutines or objects, is well structured, backed by automated tests, includes sufficient comments and is easy to maintain. Writes programs, appropriate test artifacts, ad hoc queries, and reports. Employs contemporary software development techniques to ensure tests are implemented in a way that supports automation.
- Elevates code into the development, test, and Production environments on schedule. Provides follow up Production support. Submits change control requests and documents.
- Thoroughly understands software development methodology. Thoroughly understands architecture standards. Trains and mentors staff with less experience. Resolves issues elevated from staff with less experience.
- Participates in design, code, and test Inspections throughout life cycle to identify issues. Explains technical considerations at related meetings, including those with internal clients.
- Performs systems analysis, including system requirements analysis and definition (e.g., prototyping), and logical and physical design.
- Writes the system/technical portion of assigned deliverables. Assists technical team members with the system/technical portion of their deliverables (e.g., systems testers, test plans). On small teams, the developer may write these items.
- Is highly functional on large, matrixed project teams. Interfaces with cross functional team members, including database administrator, IT security, project manager, technical writer, and clients. Communicates systems issues at the appropriate technical level for each audience.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 5 years developer or systems analyst experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Advanced knowledge of the following development practices and concepts:
- Production acceptance, including elevations and change management.
- Interfaces, feeds, and event schedules.
- Quality assurance methodology and Inspections.
- Use case standards.
- Systems analysis and design techniques.
- System/subsystem requirements.
- Libraries, reusable code, and/or object oriented standards.
- Screen, report, and query design.
- Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours.
- On-call and remote support off hours: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
- Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA is required for new employee orientation, project kickoff meetings, other meetings, and training.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top