AWS Lambda Serverless Compute Platform Manager
Create the products that are changing an industry
We never stop working to make investing simpler and more successful for our clients. By promoting new ways of working, you'll optimize products and keep our client experience improving at pace. This technical manager position will be responsible for Vanguard's implementation of Lambda serverless compute in AWS. ECS is a critical component of the Enterprise Technology Strategy and is currently poised to be the future of Vanguard cloud compute.
As a hands on technical leader, you will help us transform our current architecture to cloud native through the exciting Lambda platform. As a people manager, you will provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring, coaching, and career development to a group of dedicated engineers.
Our 2024 vision demands that "Vanguard's technology enables disruption through client experience, investment products, and advice." Lambda will be a key enabling technology for our most critical strategic objectives and will allow us to meet our goals of 90% of our systems running in the cloud and 99.999% availability for our mission critical applications.
In this role you will - About you:
- You have broad technical understanding across multiple technology layers as well as deep technical knowledge of large-scale distributed systems and all things containerization
- You are familiar with the inner workings of AWS and AWS Lambda
- You are excited by AWS cloud adoption and eager to help us build the future of Vanguard cloud compute
- You are determined to transform technology infrastructure by adopting the cloud and DevOps practices
- You are excited at the possibility of defining a future for Lambda at Vanguard, and are able to clearly articulate and persuade others of this vision
- You are a key contributor to a technology roadmap
- You want to work with other talented engineers and foster a culture of innovation, efficiency, independent thinking and collaboration
- You care about the learning, growth, and career development of our most talented engineers
- You have a proven track record of hiring top talent and building high performing teams
- You are an agile innovator who takes responsible risks and learns from failures
- You are cost conscious, continually optimizing spend, and you are relentlessly in pursuit of system availability and performance
- Minimum of ten years of related business experience, with at least six years of technical project management experience. Previous people-leadership experience strongly preferred.
- Undergraduate degree in related field (Computer Science, Engineering) required. Graduate degree preferred.
- Technical certifications in AWS, containers, etc. is preferred.
Bring invention to investing
- Drives the delivery of transformational change by providing leadership and direction to complex technology-related programs focused on overarching improvements to technology and processes, operations, or organizational structures. Ensures that all programs under management meet expected delivery dates, budget allocations, and regulatory requirements. Leads and direct the activities of several managers and specialists.
- Hires, evaluates, and supervises crew. Provides guidance and training as necessary to develop crew. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, and makes informed compensation decisions in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Manages multi-year, cross-divisional technology-related programs. Drives all phases of the program lifecycle from inception through implementation while ensuring that business objectives are delivered with high quality and within targeted timeframes.
- Creates and maintains a multi-year program strategy that clearly identifies specific actions and tasks needed to achieve future state goals. Drives communication to many different audiences within Vanguard on the overall goals and outcomes of the program.
- Builds and maintains strategic relationships across sites, departments, divisions, and internal and external partners to support their program initiatives. Develops strong relationships with program leadership, sponsors, and workstream leads.
- Holds responsibility over technology program budget, monitoring cost variances, and forecasting and allocating program costs. Ensures all steps are taken to mitigate risk and maintains control, compliance, audit, and legal requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top