Associate Director - Fund Accounting Policy Team
Vanguard's Fund Accounting Policy team provides leadership and technical expertise to Vanguard and the Vanguard Funds across the globe on understanding and implementing accounting and regulatory guidance. The team also represents Vanguard externally and engages with regulators and peers in various industry forums. In the Associate Director role, you will collaborate with internal partner teams in the analysis, implementation and monitoring of accounting and disclosure policies for Vanguard and the Vanguard Funds. You will also interact externally with our peers on a variety of relevant issues.
In this role you will:
- Formally document accounting policies and business issues, supporting positions taken and, if applicable, identify differences between US GAAP (including SEC and other regulatory reporting regulations), IFRS and IFRS equivalents.
- Communicate conclusions to accountants, management and external auditors.
- Provide subject matter expertise to internal business clients on the application of accounting policies.
- Maintain a central repository for accounting policies.
- Monitor upcoming accounting standards and upcoming financial reporting regulations promulgated by US GAAP (including SEC and other regulatory reporting regulations), IFRS and IFRS equivalents.
- Communicate new standards and rules, and the potential impact on Vanguard, to accountants and management.
- Lead efforts to develop, update and present accounting training courses to accounting staff and management.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of legal and accounting relationships between The Vanguard Group, Inc., its subsidiaries, and the Vanguard Mutual Funds.
- Assist the Heads of Fund and Corporate Accounting Policy in drafting comment letters and preparing for attendance at industry events.
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree (in accounting or finance). CPA, and MS/MBA highly preferred or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of five years related experience in an accounting and financial reporting environment.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Accounting Standards (IAS).
- Strong technical accounting and analytical skills.
- Ability to function in a high volume/fast paced environment working with multiple and diverse responsibilities.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills/presentation skills.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint software.
- Strong problem identification and resolution skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external clients.
- Ability to interact effectively with senior management as well as various levels of staff and management across the organization.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
You should be aware this will designate you as a Fund Access Person and carries with it certain responsibilities and restrictions. For more information see the following article.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top