Associate Counsel, Employment and Immigration Services
Vanguard is a leading provider of financial products and services to individual and institutional investors world-wide. In addition, Vanguard is an employer of choice that continually invests in the growth, development and success of its employees over the course of their Vanguard careers. Vanguard’s Legal & Compliance Division addresses a wide range of complex and compelling legal and compliance issues. To support its growing business, Vanguard is seeking an attorney in its Employment & Immigration Services Group. This attorney will support and partner with lead employment counsel to provide proactive and strategic global employment law advice and counseling to human resources, legal and other corporate service departments, as well as to business leaders throughout the company, in a highly collaborative environment.
- Provide employment, labor and immigration law counseling on a wide array of HR and business initiatives, practices and policies that have employee (“crew”) implications, including recruiting, disciplinary actions, disability and FMLA matters, discrimination, terminations, restructuring, wage and hour matters, and investigations.
- Conduct legal and/or factual research as necessary to support legal advice, and prepare related summaries, presentations, and other advisory memoranda.
- Provide employment, labor and immigration law training and education to ensure proactive and ongoing compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Manage and coordinate global employment and immigration law advice for global initiatives, as well as individual crew matters with cross border implications.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of current regulations, laws, industry trends, and practices that may affect the company; advise accordingly. Provide legal support and oversight for related compliance initiatives.
- Lead, assist and/or provide support for legal and other corporate initiatives undertaken by Vanguard.
- Actively oversee and manage the work being performed by outside counsel. Review and evaluate outside counsel invoices.
- As needed, manage employment-related litigation and other matters involving federal and state agencies (e.g. administrative charges and investigations), including, e.g. drafting and/or oversight of all filings, correspondence, and related legal documents, and attendance at hearings, fact findings, audits and related meetings.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 4 – 6 years of relevant professional experience
- Experience with employment law advice and litigation required; immigration experience preferred
- Excellent undergraduate and law school academic credentials
- Excellent judgment, counseling, and negotiation skills
- Excellent communication, relationship management, and writing skills
- Ability to balance business and legal needs and manage multiple projects at one time
- Leadership abilities coupled with strong personal accountability and initiative
Candidates must share Vanguard’s core values, including unmatched ethical standards and client service, strong work ethic, and ‘can-do’ attitude. Candidates must foster a team environment by building collaborative, trusting relationships and advancing the development and success of others.
Candidates must be skilled at successfully collaborating with, enabling, working through, and influencing legal colleagues, in-house corporate partners, and business clients at all levels, including senior management.
Vanguard is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Back to top