UX Engineer, BMW Technology Office - Silicon Valley
Build what Matters
Join us and be part in shaping the next era of mobility: connected, electric, and autonomous. The Technology Office in Mountain View is leading BMW's efforts to develop these areas to craft the next generation of sustainable, high performance driving machines. We look for candidates with a bold temperament to work with us in small agile teams rapidly iterating on new prototypes to advance premium mobility.
This is a full-time UX Engineering opportunity working in the Experience Design Lab at the BMW Group Technology Office USA. The candidate will work on challenges at the intersection of design, technology, and the customer of tomorrow. He/she is part of an intrinsic working model of technological immersion in Silicon Valley. Hereby, the candidate is combining his/her skills with insights and impulses to develop highly innovative experiences. Enabled by this unique setup, the candidate's work will be inspiring for BMW Group's research, development and business units.
The primary focus and responsibility of this position will be the prototyping of ideas and concepts. The UX Engineer will be challenged to think and contribute in versatile and creative ways. Tasked to develop the most innovative solutions for software(/hardware) prototypes and concepts, being a specialist in his/her field. Secondarily, the candidate will help to identify emerging and appropriate interaction technologies, trends and paradigms to craft such advanced experiences.
The candidate will work in close collaboration with senior engineering, research and design professionals. He/she will effectively contribute to an agile, multi-disciplinary, international team. We are looking for a team member who enjoys a diversity of projects, is self-motivated, and is inspired by technology and design to work with us on meaningful and captivating customer experiences for the future.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Software prototyping (rapid, low-fidelity, high-fidelity)
- Development of complex interactive UI/UX prototypes in 2D/3D
- Experimenting with new interaction technologies
- Translate impulses, ideas, concepts into feasible but innovative output
- Scout and identify interaction technologies and trends; including documentation, analysis, and processing of appropriate findings
- Evaluation of new soft- and hardware tools for prototyping within field of work
- Apply flexibility, consistency and creativity in the development process and due iterations
- Managing timelines and capacities to handle multiple project tasks and work packages at a time
- Work in close collaboration and constant communication with the team and the project leads
- Willingness to gain deeper competencies and experience for ideation, concept development and problem solving in the field of innovation for next generation automotive experiences
- Company paid Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Employee car program
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Retirement Income Account
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 2-4 years experience of prototyping and software development
- 0-3 years project management experience (either professional or within university projects)
- Portfolio documenting recently achieved projects
- Advanced programming skills in Unity 3D
- Experience with DART or Flutter
- Experience with Arduino, Raspberry Pi, or other IoT technologies
- Deep user empathy and solid interaction design foundation
- Knowledge of visual design tools such as Sketch, or Photoshop are welcome
- Excellent communication skills
Conscientious, responsible, ability to work independently and as a part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Willingness to learn and gain deeper competencies in the field
- Willingness to travel to destinations in the United States as well as to Europe
Meet Some of U.S. BMW Group Companies's Employees
Sr. Technical Instructor
Cesar teaches BMW’s North America entry-level technicians how to master engine mechanical electric systems. He provides technical training on BMW’s many mobile products and processes, preparing teams for great professions.
Back to top