Software Engineering Manager
BMW Technology Corporation is committed to developing creative, breakthrough connected car services that integrate consumers’ digital lives with their mobility needs. Our teams build these experiences here in Chicago so we are developing a dynamic and invigorating work environment. If you share our vision and are ready to help shape this exciting business, we’d like to learn how your talents can drive excellence in products and processes in the new BMW Chicago Technology Center.
As an Engineering Manager you will be responsible for managing a development team that develops applications and services that enhance BMW’s ConnectedDrive experience. This is a 50% hands on developer role and 50% manager role (Player/Coach).
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design, Develop and deliver software solutions
- Manage, mentor and coach a team of engineers through frequent one-on-one’s and quarterly performance reviews
- Set standards for engineering practices with your team and throughout the organization focusing on continuous improvement toward high-performing, data driven teams.
- Ensure the team meets delivery deadlines, quality goals and collaborate with other teams (product, engineering, operations) to help define the product backlog
Join the team at BMW of North America and enjoy a high-performance employment package which includes:
- Company paid Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Employee car program
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Retirement Income Account
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Physics or equivalent field of study.
- At least 5+ years of recent experience as a software developer; including 1-2 years of hands on engineering manager experience.
- Command of multiple modern programming languages and expertise working with mainstream scripting languages.
- Hands on engineering manager experience with direct reports.
- Technical expertise and demonstrated experience with multiple modern object-oriented languages and testing practices.
- Creative problem solving skills.
- Deep understanding of how to build high-performing software and practical experience with performance analysis and testing.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to bridge the gap between technical and business teams.
- Proven people management skills and affinity to mentorship.
- Experience with Agile methodology and how it can be customized to fit a project team and achieve organizational goals.
- Have code on GitHub for personal or public open-source projects (send us links!)
- Work with large data sets using Hadoop and mapReduce.
- iOS or Android application development.
- Experience with SaaS applications.
- Deliver solutions that used virtual machines, clouds services (AWS, Azure).
BMW NA is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Back to top