Software Developer, Machine Learning
As an independent group of companies, the BMW Group has a commitment to creativity and breakthrough ideas that goes well beyond the racetrack. In order to continuously create ultimate driving machines, we drive our growth and design excellence by staffing our teams with individuals who are innovative and always looking for the next great idea. If you share our vision and view yourself as an independent, creative thinker we invite you to join our team in this exceptional development role located in Mountain View, California.
This role is responsible for discovering and transferring leading-edge technologies and know-how from U.S. partner companies, academic institutions and internal partners to concepts that could flow into the BMW vehicle series development process and new business models. This position will prototype and demonstrate how to use aggregate data from our fleet and other sources to enable new customer features or derive valuable insights. The chosen candidate will be responsible for developing algorithms specifically for autonomous automotive functional use cases. Ideally, you will be comfortable comparing self-developed algorithms to those developed at partner companies, academic institutions and internal (BMW) partners, in order to move algorithms from research into pre-development and then to series development. The ideal candidate will have experience transferring algorithms from development work stations to embedded hardware. The ideal candidate will:.
- Develop research in machine learning applications.
- Independently build, test and integrate various prototypes.
- Manage both self-identified and assigned projects (planning timeline controlling budget and capacity, documenting project and process).
- Prepare and present projects status reports to BMW project partners and management both domestically and internationally.
- Manage exploration projects with high-tech partner companies and BMW departments to quickly evaluate different ideas.
- Identify, specify and arrange for purchase novel software and hardware tools required for development.
- Because of the international development process, the ideal candidate will be comfortable working independently and effectively in a team environment and must have excellent communication skills and an attention to detail.
Join the team at BMW of North America and enjoy a high-performance employment package which includes:
- Company paid Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Employee car program
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Retirement Income Account
Qualifications and Experience
- Masters Degree in Computer Science or Computer/Electrical Engineering or related field.
- 2 to 3 years experience in machine learning.
- Strong prototyping skills.
- Strong project management and communication skills.
- Hands-on implementation of projects is required. Interaction with a backend cluster, aggregating data, writing algorithms to analyze and combine the data.
- Self-starter, able to tackle problems alone, and also to work well with internal and external development partners.
- Must integrate well into a multi-cultural team environment.
- Ability to travel to destinations in the United States as well as to Europe.
- The ideal candidate for this position will focus on software development for machine learning and will be/have:
- Well versed and experienced with modern ML networks, preferably deep learning (CNNs, R-CNNS, Auto encoders, Boltzmann machines) and other standards like SVM, Random forecasts and other supervised and unsupervised learning algorithms.
- Knowledge and/or experience in Reinforcement learning.
- Background in Image processing and Computer vision.
- Previous, recent large scale development experience.
- Good working knowledge of Linux.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages like C++, C, Python and some knowledge of Caffe, Theano, TensorFlow.
- Knowledge of ROS and/or ADTF preferred but not required.
What are you waiting for...jump into the driver's seat and help us define the future of mobility!
BMW NA is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
BMW of North America LLC.
Back to top