Senior Design Strategist
With studios in Los Angeles, Munich and Shanghai, Designworks, A BMW Group Company provides full-service design solutions for premium brands worldwide. Our history spans over forty five years, and continues to earn numerous awards and industry accolades along the way. Founded in 1972 in a small studio in Malibu, California, and acquired by BMW Group in 1995, today Designworks pairs the pragmatism and resources of a global company while retaining the nimble, independent spirit and perspective that is true to our roots. Our Designers thrive in a climate of true cross-fertilization, advancing observations, research and experiences from multiple industries to create new solutions that innovate rather than merely reinforce the status quo. We serve as the internal-think tank for our parent company, BMW Group, and consult for a roster of external clients that includes many of the World's most renowned and respected brands.
The Senior Creative Consultant works at the intersection of Design and Business consulting, creating insight-based input for strategies that impact the design of products, services, and organizational change.
Working under the coaching of Associate Directors, and often embedded in a multi-disciplinary core team, the Senior Creative Consultant uses systems-thinking to support defining innovation opportunities through design thinking and creative visualization.
The Senior Creative Consultant's toolkit consists of Foresight and Research activities, including long-range scanning, ethnographic research, and market intelligence. These forms of input will serve as the basis for human-focused foresight, as the Senior Creative Consultant bridges insights into well-defined opportunities for creative innovation.
The role requires using his/her passion for clear and emotionally-resonant story-telling to create buy-in, both with internal teams and our external clients. Very strong visual, verbal and rhetorical skills are used to create compelling presentations, lead workshops and outline clear plans of action.
The Senior Creative Consultant can independently work across the entire creative consulting chain. The scope must go from framing strategic criteria and building strategic plans, solutions, and concepts to communicating those outputs independently with the client. Project scope ranges from integrated design projects to stand alone consulting projects, leveraging design thinking as well as creativity at each step.
Industries served include automotive/mobility, heavy equipment, consumer electronics, apparel & footwear, furniture, aviation, hospitality, urban planning, etc.
The Senior Creative Consultant bridges strategic thinking into design and business applications. This includes a broad range of responsibilities:
- Project framing and hypothesis development;
- Contribute to the planning and execution of robust research programs;
- Supporting the analysis of research outcomes into strategic output;
- Moderating both processes and workshops
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree in Design, Design Strategy, creative business strategy or related field. Graduate level work preferred but not required
- 3 to 5 years of prior work experience within the field of Creative firms in a consulting service environment on strategic solutions
- Must integrate well into a multicultural team environment
- Conceptual and analytical thinking capabilities
- Strong visual, verbal and written communication skills
- Can articulate formal aspects of design (why a design expression creates value)
- Good spoken and written English
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office (required)and Adobe CS (preferred)
- High attention to detail and the ability to deliver work at the highest quality
- Self-motivated, independent worker with initiative and the ability to work with minimal supervision
Meet Some of U.S. BMW Group Companies's Employees
Sr. Technical Instructor
Cesar teaches BMW’s North America entry-level technicians how to master engine mechanical electric systems. He provides technical training on BMW’s many mobile products and processes, preparing teams for great professions.
Back to top