Watchdog/Local Government Reporter
Oshkosh, WI, USA • Wisconsin, USA Req #18104
Thursday, August 26, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Watchdog/Local Government Reporter
The Oshkosh Northwestern/ thenorthwestern.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin , is seeking a talented journalist to join our team as a watchdog reporter covering local government in Oshkosh and Winnebago County.
This reporter will follow the money and those who do the spending, telling those stories in ways that provoke thought and engage readers. This reporter will help to dissect problems that detract from the quality of life and celebrate things that make it better.
Through a combination of quick hits, explanatory stories and deep dives, this reporter will challenge the status quo, highlight solutions, and introduce readers to the region's extraordinary people.
- Dig through public records, attend meetings, interview community members.
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences.
- Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Work with editors to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs, using metrics.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Feels drive to beat the competition for our readers' time and attention.
- Is self-motivated and self-directed.
- Knows social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Communicates effectively; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Understands media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top