Watchdog/Local Government Reporter
- Wausau, WI
Wausau, WI, USA Req #10408
Tuesday, July 7, 2020
Watchdog/Local Government Reporter
The Wausau Daily Herald /wausaudailyherald.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin, is seeking an energetic journalist to join our team as a watchdog reporter covering local government.
This reporter will be responsible for covering a wide range of stories in our community to produce compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers.
You will act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
Our reporters provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues and work with editors to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform.
- Dig through public records, attend meetings, interview community members.
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Work with editors to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Internship or experience in student publication.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 5-10 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top