- South Dennis, MA
Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA • Hyannis Port, Barnstable, MA, USA Req #12740
Thursday, December 10, 2020
The Cape Cod Times/ capecodtimes.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a watchdog reporter to join the staff. We are the Cape's trusted news source and we pride ourselves in producing high quality journalism in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.
The primary role of the Reporter is to gather news and information in multimedia formats for digital and print news products in a timely manner from various community locations.
Whether assigned to cover a beat or general assignment, the mobile reporter develops local news via tips, sources and direct assignment. Initial on-scene content should flow credible enough for direct publishing to the Web when necessary. Additional work to increase value, context and quality of the content for digital and print usage is expected to follow first content push to digital.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Explores and reports on the widest range of news and trends, connecting with our audience's passion.
- Content strategies include print, branded digital platforms, traditional and emerging social media, events, apps and curation of contributed and expert content.
- Places a high priority on data analysis to identify trends that would otherwise go unreported.
- Strategizes and executes distribution and optimization plans for all content.
- Demonstrates clear concise writing skills with strong nut graphs and "why this is important to me" content.
- Requires outstanding research skills and extensive contacts that can break news.
- Requires the ability to create trust within their niche community. The primary channel will be our digital products first, but the content will also make its way into printed publications.
- Identifies, cultivates and curates contributed, authoritative content and reporting that expands the footprint of the beat.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years' reporting/newsroom experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be willing to travel on short notice, to cover breaking news events.
- Work weekends and nights as needed by the news cycle.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work or online portfolio. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top