Watchdog & Accountability Reporter
Jackson, MS, USA • Mississippi, USA Req #18021
Friday, August 13, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The Clarion-Ledger / clarionledger.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a dynamic watchdog and accountability reporter to cover city government in Mississippi's capital.
The ideal candidate should be capable of breaking news often while plugging away at quick-turn enterprise and investigative stories off the news covering the mayor and city council in Jackson, Mississippi.
Flexibility is key in this job, which will also include coverage of public safety agencies and courts. Adaptability is essential. One day may involve breaking news assignments, while the next is digging into more in-depth reporting.
The ideal candidate will be an aggressive journalist who is as comfortable working outside the newsroom as they are inside it. We want someone who will break news in real time, and then keep readers updated as the story evolves. Most of our stories develop online and feature visuals, including photos and video, as a key element in storytelling.
You should have work samples that demonstrate an aptitude for data-driven stories and familiarity with open records requests, and a track record of producing compelling, timely, well-sourced stories.
In addition, we will ask you to connect with the community not just via social media, but on camera, and through community forums and events.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Build and execute content for upper funnel consumers to drive audience growth across our network through increased subscriptions.
- Produce content in alternative forms (listicles, Q&As, narratives, photo galleries, video - that are tailored to the right platform (mobile, desktop, social media) to best reach the audience.
- Use metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
• Collaborates with photographers to provide all appropriate elements for stories. Captures basic photos and video as needed.
• Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
• Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
• Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 1-3 years of previous reporting experience preferred; even better if you've covered breaking news or a government beat.
• Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond to and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
• Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our audience's time and money.
• Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
• Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
• Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
• Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
• Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
• Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team of journalists.
• Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
• Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
• This position involves an early start to the day and occasional weekend work.
• This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
• Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages max.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.
Back to top