Visual Journalist - Photo/Video - and Reporter
Farmington, NM, USA Req #6042
Monday, February 25, 2019
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
FULL-TIME VISUAL JOURNALIST - NEW MEXICO AWAITS
Love photojournalism, often conducted while learning about and covering a culturally-diverse community? On top of that, are you also a skilled reporter? Join the award-winning staff of The Farmington Daily Times, a USA Today Network newspaper in Farmington, New Mexico.
This is a great opportunity for a passionate visual storyteller who loves daily and project photojournalism. Do you want to be part of a team that shares ideas, meets challenges and supports each other through a shared commitment to high-quality journalism?
We're the team that led network coverage of the 2015 Gold King Mine spill, and we were awarded the annual Best of the USA TODAY Network Journalism Award for Breaking News in our category after our coverage of the Aztec High School shootings on Dec. 7, 2017.
We're a small staff with a big job, and we love what we do. Help us to do it even better.
Job duties include:
• Reporting on visual stories (photos, documentary-style and live broadcasts via Facebook Live) that accurately inform, entertain and engage readers digitally and in print.
• Covering daily news and feature assignments, like prep sports and college-league baseball, breaking news, musical events and festivals, and maybe even some high-octane cage matches at the local casino via stills and video.
• Enterprise visual stories that have an impact on the community. We use galleries but want more video stories to enhance our web offerings. Collaboration with other reporters is an essential part of this job.
• Transmit photos on assignment when necessary from national breaking news or other key live assignments to the USA TODAY Network.
• Be prepared to write a short (or longer) story to accompany your work.
• Bachelor's in communications, journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
• A strong still and video portfolio that shows the photographer's visual voice and range of expertise.
• Demonstrated ability to report accurate captions.
• This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
The Four Corners region offers everything from rugged hikes to ski town nightlife and good, old-fashioned fall gridiron Friday Night Lights. There's plenty of opportunities for biking, fishing, rafting and climbing. Maybe museums and art exhibits are more your thing, or trips to the nearby mountains in Colorado for skiing, music and upscale dining in the Durango area.
Gannett provides a great work environment with many benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance; 401k plan; paid vacation and more.Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen.
- Multiple years of experience as an Investigative Reporter or similar journalism.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes as much of the following as you can provide:
- Your resume - condensed to a few pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top