Des Moines, IA, USA • Iowa, USA Req #18412
Wednesday, September 8, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Des Moines Register /desmoinesregister.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a talented, creative, experienced photojournalist and videographer to join our award-winning visuals team.
This journalist will collaborate with other visual journalists, reporters and editors to produce compelling storytelling about the people and places of Iowa. Assignments will include a mix of breaking news, sports action, features, portraits, photo galleries, video and self-generated visual storytelling. This journalist must also be a strong writer, able to quickly write accurate, informative captions, copy blocks and short stories.
All Register journalists are expected to promote their work on social media, understand digital metrics and work to build audience for their own work and all Register content.
Visual journalists also are expected to build diverse sources to help alert the Register staff to spot news, trends and community concerns.
Flexibility, resourcefulness and strong collaboration skills are musts.
Des Moines is a growing state capital city that is home to a vibrant arts and entertainment scene and a large community of young professionals living downtown.
The Register visuals staff has long been recognized for its excellence, winning national photo awards and regional Emmys.
The Des Moines Register is a 17-time Pulitzer Prize winner. We reach readers across the state with our daily Des Moines Register editions, our award-winning DesMoinesRegister.com website and various nondaily publications.
- Creates quality multimedia storytelling using photography, videography and text that informs, entertains and engages our audience.
- Uses audience metrics to assist in making coverage decisions.
- Collaborates and connects with the community through visual storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Works with content coaches and other journalists to evaluate what works and what doesn't and develops ongoing plans to satisfy audience needs better.
- Promotes their own work and the work of their colleagues.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of two years of professional experience as a visual journalist, preferred.
- Exceptional core photojournalism skills (reporting, photography and videography.)
- Experience with multimedia storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Experience with shooting and editing on an iPhone.
- Ability to use basic and advanced computer programs, including but not limited to Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and Photo Mechanic.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Understands social media and how to respond and engage a fan base on digital platforms.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Proficient in writing, spelling, grammar and AP style.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 15-20 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top