Eugene, OR, USA • Oregon, USA Req #16658
Monday, June 21, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Register-Guard/ registerguard.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK,is seeking a uniquely qualified visual journalist with a passion for also covering diverse local business communities in the cities of Eugene and Springfield and Lane County.
This reporter, who reports to the visual director,will split time between telling the stories of the area business community -- developments, local openings/closings, personalities, and trends - and fulfilling news, features and sports photo and video assignments.
The ideal candidate willquickly builda diverse group ofsourcesthroughout the Lane County business communityto help spotnews, trends and the uniqueness of our vibrant business community that builds a following by informing and engaging readers.
We put an emphasis on digital over print, with reporters working with editors to shape the best way to tell individual stories, from text to audio to video to Q&A or other alternative formats. The successful candidate must have a passion for telling stories visually, quickly when needed, in-depth when called for, and always with accuracy.
Located in the Willamette Valley, Eugene sits about an hour from the beautiful, rugged Oregon Coast. Head north on Interstate 5 to reach Salem, the state capital, in under an hour or Portland in two hours. The Eugene Airport is only 10 minutes from downtown, and Amtrak rolls right into the city center.
Eugene is a robust and vibrant college town with several institutions of higher learning, including the University of Oregon. Known as Track Town USA, it's an outdoors-minded community with miles of urban forested trails for hiking and running.
As a culinary destination, Eugene offers an abundance of locally grown, raised and produced food and beverage products. Together with neighboring Springfield, the city of Eugene provides a quality of life affirmed and enjoyed by residents and visitors alike.
- Report clearly and accurately and providing context for our readers.
- Cultivate stories by developing relationships with local business owners and workers to help inform coverage. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Deliver stories,photos,videos and galleries via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Work with other journalists to collaborate on stories and visuals.
- Work with editors to evaluate what's working and what's not -- using metrics to inform story and visual choices, content delivery, and shape beat strategies.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 year of experience shooting, editing photographs and video stories on deadline.
- Adept at taking photos and video to file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media. Understands fast-paced news environment and our digital-first mission.
- Must be proficient in Photoshop and Premiere.
- Strong copy-editing skills, command of AP grammar and style, and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Successful at collaborating and working well with others and working with a team on stories.
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting (both on camera and behind) and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Able to work holidays and weekends as needed.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top