- Palm Springs, CA
Palm Springs, CA, USA Req #16097
Monday, May 24, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Desert Sun/ desertsun.com , in Palm Springs, California, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK , is looking for a visual journalist who loves to tell stories through video and photography to online and print audiences.
We are looking for someone who enjoys learning about and covering the communities we serve in Southern California and who knows that being a photojournalist is not just about the visual elements but also requires strong reporting skills. Applicants should have the ability to propose and produce unique photo story ideas.
This is a great opportunity for a passionate visual storyteller who loves daily and enterprise journalism and who wants to be part of a team that collaborates on all aspects of coverage, from environmental features to high school sports to globally important sporting and cultural events such as the Coachella music festival, BNP Paribas Open tennis tournament and Palm Springs International Film Festival.
The Desert Sun covers one of the most beautiful, interesting and varied parts of California: the Coachella Valley. Here we have deserts but also mountains; wealthy communities and poverty; recent immigrants and tribal communities whose roots to this land stretch back millennia. There is no shortage of things to do, people to meet and interesting things to cover.
- Report on visual stories that accurately inform, entertain and engage readers digitally and in print.
- Cover daily assignments, including breaking news, community events, features and high school and pro sports.
- Produce visual enterprise stories that have an impact on the community. We use galleries but want more video stories to enhance our digital offerings. Collaboration with other reporters is an essential part of this job. (We also produce live events that feature our photography and videography.)
- Create short, informative videos off the day's biggest news.
- Employ an array of storytelling tools: video, still images, words, social media platforms like Instagram stories and more.
- Be prepared to write a short (or longer) story to accompany your work. Render captions and metadata accurately and completely.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Connect with the community through visual storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Transmit photos on assignment when necessary from national breaking news or other key live assignments to the USA TODAY Network.
- Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate story forms.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A strong still and video portfolio that shows your visual voice and range of expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to report accurately.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under deadline pressure, using time efficiently.
- Skill at collaborating in a cross-functional environment and adapting in a rapidly changing industry.
- Experience using Adobe Premiere and Photoshop on Apple platform.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Organizational skills.
- Understanding of social media and how to respond and engage audience on digital platforms.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Interested in peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Ability to apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP style.
- Command of media law and ethics
- Drone pilot certification a major plus.
- Spanish language a major plus
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- 15-20 samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role. These may be online links or a portfolio submitted via dropbox or wetransfer.
It is important that your resume and cover letter be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top