A visuals multimedia journalist specializing in video is responsible for covering stories in and around our community as they happen with a talent and passion for digital storytelling that leads to increased digital subscriptions and digital audience growth. We are a digital-first organization that puts an important emphasis on posting to digital first, especially mobile. Strengths for this position include an ability to make connections in the community, interact with readers by increasing engagement on social media, a passion for letting people know what's going on in our community through video and photo presentations. A video-focused visual multimedia journalist should be adept at telling all types of stories with appropriate documentary visuals from breaking news to sports to features, all with the same passion and attention. He or she is expected to be capable of writing as circumstances dictate. The right candidate should have an understanding of all platforms of story-telling that we use daily: Desktop, mobile, tablet and print, with a look towards the future and new ways of presenting visual stories on all devices to help increase engagement across all platforms.
A video-focused multimedia journalist will be expected to build/edit videos self-shot as well as video provided to them as well as be able to shoot quality stills when asked.
- Shoot and edit short videos, shoot still photographs, create photo galleries, write captions and occasional short stories as assigned by supervising editor
- Social media knowledge is key, knowing how and when to use it to promote/tell stories visually
- Must be proficient in the visual software Final Cut Pro, Photoshop and Photo Mechanic
- Should be able to tell stories with visuals as well as words when needed, with basic reporting skills a necessity
- Must be willing to work weekends, holidays as needed
- Visual specialists will routinely lift, carry and work with a laptop, video and still equipment weighing up to 50 pounds
- Able to withstand long periods of time in inclement weather
- Works with other USA TODAY NETWORK properties and employees with similar jobs and responsibilities to share content/ideas/work flow and best practices
This job is based in Stuart and Vero Beach, Fla. and is an afternoon/evening shift that could include weekends and holidays. Work in other offices including Melbourne will be required at times. A clean valid driver's license is required. A bachelor's degree in journalism or other discipline that requires substantial visuals work required. Experience as a professional media photographer and videographer a plus.
The USA Today Network is a top global digital media company that reaches more than 100 million people monthly through a powerful network of mobile and publishing properties. The USA Today Network offers a full menu of benefits.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Miranda’s main goal is creating unique, practical layouts that perfectly pair graphics and content to appeal to users. She considers readability and presentation of magazines paramount.
Back to top