McLean, VA, USA • Virtual Req #19499
Tuesday, November 2, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Video Editor/Motion Graphics Fellow, USA TODAY
USA TODAY is looking for a versatile Video Editor/Motion Graphics Fellow for a full-time, year-long fellowship in our photo and video department. This position is a year-long commitment, and we are open to remote candidates or relocation to one of our bureaus in Washington, DC, Tysons Corner, VA, New York City, or Los Angeles. Join a global digital media company of more than 250 media properties across the country. As a fellow, you will develop and grow your skills in a fast-paced, real-time newsroom environment.
The ideal candidate will be a recent college graduate who demonstrates a passion for video editing, motion graphics. You have excellent creative storytelling, news judgment, and production skills working within a multimedia, multiplatform newsroom environment. You love developing compelling video narratives and collaborating with visual producers to craft a creative story from a collection of footage.
The Video Editor/Motion Graphics Fellow is a creative, passionate storyteller with sharp attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Video Editor/Motion Graphics Fellow is comfortable crafting video narratives ranging from in-depth investigations, news-driven features, motion graphics-driven narratives to socially-fueled segments under the guidance of senior visual leaders.
This editor will work with the Adobe Creative Suite, specifically After Effects and Premiere. You will have experience navigating a wide variety of sources to find timely and engaging visual content, from traditional news services, photo and video archives, UGC, and social media. You know how to stay on top of video story editing trends and aren't afraid to try new ways of telling visual stories.
The Visual Fellow will be an assertive visual journalist and excellent communicator, with the ability to interface with editors, producers, fellow journalists across the company.
The Visual Fellow will work collaboratively with editors at headquarters in Tysons Corner, Va., editors, and producers at our Video Production Center in Atlanta, in our NYC and Los Angeles bureaus, and in coordination with other USA TODAY NETWORK properties across the country.
This position is open to remote applicants.
- Work with editors, producers, and photographers to edit original video and photo content using the Adobe Suite.
- Create high-end graphics creation using After Effects, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Working knowledge of the best types of visual content for various social media platforms, including YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and TikTok.
- Be a self-starter; someone who can spearhead projects solo but also works well in a team setting, too.
- Works collaboratively with a passionate and highly motivated team of videographers, reporters, editors, and producers.
- Flexible and able to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as needed.
- Participate in news meetings and learn how priorities for news content and coverage are set and executed.
- Assists in planning news coverage with visual leaders within USA TODAY and across the USA TODAY Network.
- Using analytics, reviews "wins" and "losses" in past event coverage and recommends adjustments in future coverage plans as necessary.
- Bachelor's degree, Film and Television, Broadcast Journalism, Liberal Arts.
- Must have experience with producing content for digital platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
HOW TO APPLY: We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job. - Tell us what makes your work stand out.
- Online links to your portfolio that showcases your video editing and motion graphics skills.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.