Vice President of Sales, Strategic Accounts
The USA TODAY Network, part of the Gannett Co. Inc. (GCI), is a next-generation media company that empowers communities to connect, act, and thrive. Headquartered in McLean, VA we have unparalleled local-to-national reach, successfully connecting consumers, communities and businesses. Theiconic USA TODAY brand is comprised of 107 strong local media organizations in 33 states and Guam with more than 160 local news brands online and in the U.K. We provide rich content through hundreds of outstanding affiliated digital, mobile and print products. Gannett brands include The USA TODAY NETWORK, ReachLocal, SweetIQ, Grateful Ventures and U.K. media company Newsquest. Our goal is to re-imagine our traditional media roots. This is achieved by creating innovative products and services that leverage our role as an information provider and reach our customers whenever and wherever.
Reporting to the President of our Strategic Accounts, Regional Multi Location Division, the Vice President of Sales, Strategic Accounts will focus on leading and shaping go-to-market strategy and driving digital revenue growth within the Furniture vertical. This role will expand over time to grow other verticals within the Regional Mulit Location Division. This role will provide inspiring leadership, develop a high performing sales team, drive results for clients, and grow revenue. The ideal candidate will have delivered results in both "traditional" and "new" media environments and have experience selling and leading national sales teams that exceed annual quotas greater than 50 million in revenue and growing.
In this role, you will be part of an elite sales organization across Gannett working to develop solutions that help regional and national Furniture brands navigate an ever-changing landscape and focus on what matters most to them-growing their business and delivering a strong customer experience. In-depth knowledge of the B2B, B2C, Furniture and Retail industries is preferred along with showing strong use of strategy to move the revenue needle. We are looking for someone that can demonstrate their initiative, resourcefulness and creativity along with a high level of segment and sales strategy. The Vice President will build and lead a segment focused sales team that delivers significant revenue growth and strategic positioning for the Furniture Segment while developing a strong pipeline of business, executing on existing sales, revenue and relationship management commitments. In addition, this individual will:
- Collaborate with key stakeholders across product, client services, client solutions and sales operations to strengthen and elevate strategic relationships with regional and national Furniture brands.
- Possess a highly experienced multi-platform sales and sales leadership background. Must be creative, collaborative and strategic, with a lean towards creating custom programs, have a strong understanding of the principles of lead generation, and know how to sell value of editorial engagement and audience.
- Solid knowledge base of digital media sales solutions, leading with ideas that include branded content, high impact, display, search, social and data targeted solutions. Identifies client needs and uses demographic and market analysis, and knowledge of the client's business and competition, to deliver effective proposals to clients, growing revenue to well over 50 million annually.
- Negotiate with internal resources and clients on advertising programs to assure that customer satisfaction is achieved and revenue objectives are met.
- Using knowledge of the competition and the industry, develop and execute strategies that generate business and strengthen USA TODAY's marketplace position.
- Identify the needs of a client and agency partners through discussions of their objectives and strategies, and collaborates with client solutions to develop advertising opportunities to meet them. This includes, but is not limited to, planning and participating in special event functions that impact revenue, developing advertising prospects, active participation in business organizations and industry groups that lend to the business growth areas.
- Develop a high level of competency of USA TODAY's competitive advertising environment and builds knowledge of the clients' business. Identifies opportunities for new advertising strategies and recommends creative ideas that improve USA TODAY's competitive position and the bottom line. Represents USA TODAY with knowledge and confidence.
- React to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned all while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work and thrive in a team environment and invest in a long-term commitment to team and category of business growth, all while supporting company goals and objectives and contributing to team's success.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, advertising or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 15+ years senior sales experience with 10+ years of sales management experience.
- Proven record of successfully leading in a goal-oriented, highly accountable sales environment. Ability to maintain a deep and broad understanding of the market (e.g., customers, prospects, key trends, and competitive media).
- Strong knowledge of publishing/media industry.
- Excellent negotiating skills.
- Proven track record in achieving/exceeding advertising sales goals.
- Must have demonstrable expertise in prospecting, inside and outside sales, closing deals, and maintaining multiple client accounts on a renewal basis.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact successfully with clients and advertising agencies at all levels.
- The candidate should already have established strong and widespread network of contacts within the media industry i.e. agencies and clients.
- Good word processing and electronic communication skills are essential. Any work in CRM data management systems is a plus i.e. salesforce.com.
- Must have good math skills and the ability to analyze data in order to develop presentations and effectively bring in advertising revenue, and to accurately account for associated expenses.
- Must be aggressive and self-motivated, organized and entrepreneurial by nature. Self-starter, dynamic and results oriented all while working in a team environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel 75% of the time. It is preferred that this role resides in a major metropolitan area or near an airport within the geography of our properties.
What we offer:
As a part of Gannett Co., Inc., the nation's largest media and marketing solutions company We offer an energized, passionate team within a fun & flexible workplace. An opportunity to work alongside digital leaders and visionaries. We provide an elite benefits package that includes: PTO & Paid holidays, Medical, dental, 401k, and other benefits. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status .
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top