USA Today - Voices Editor
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The USA TODAY Network is looking for a Voices Editor to drive the solicitation and dissemination of commentary based on First-Person Experience.
The successful candidate will proactively seek insightful, traffic-driving columns and videos from people in the news, some of whom are already famous and some who have had fame suddenly thrust upon them.
You will think like a booker for the first 20 minutes of Today and the other morning shows: If I could get anyone in the world to discuss the issue or event that everyone is talking about, who would that be?
Here are a couple of examples of the types of pieces we have in mind:
You will be attached to the USA TODAY Opinion department and coordinate your efforts with the Deputy Editorial Page Editor and Commentary Editor. But you will also be available to work with other sections at USA TODAY and with Network properties nationwide. You will interact with editors at Network properties to surface First-Person Experience from their communities that have broad national appeal.
You will go through the scores of unsolicited op-eds that come in to "The Forum" queue and sort the gems from the junk. You will work with writers who typically aren't professionals to shape their ideas and bring them up to our standards. You will have a sharp nose for B.S. and a passion for fact-checking to sniff out "too good to be true" submissions.
- Generate and surface a steady stream of compelling First-Person Experience, in both written and video form.
- Think big and creatively about whom to approach each day for exclusive, on-the-news content.
- Ensure a wide diversity of voices across our platforms and pages.
- Lift the copy of people who don't write for a living.
- Scrupulously fact-check to identify contributors who might be bending the truth. Recognize potentially libelous situations.
- A bachelor's degree in Journalist or equivalent
- 5 + years of relevant experience
- The ability to use the phone, email, social media, personal contacts and databases to track down potential contributors on short notice.
- Exceptional communications skills to deal with a wide range of contributors and colleagues.
- Strong line-editing, headline-writing and fact-checking abilities.
- Digital and video-interviewing (Skype, etc.) savvy.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top