Urban Change Reporter
Burlington, VT, USA • Vermont, USA Req #16763
Tuesday, June 22, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Urban Change Reporter
The Burlington Free Press/burlingtonfreepress.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a ha rd-working and energetic reporter to cover t he concerns of residents living in Vermont's most populous and diverse area, Chittenden County. This position will pay particular attention to fault-lines in the cities of Burlington and Winooski .
We need a reporter who will look for stories by paying attention to topics being debated on social forums, bulletin boards , at neighborhood gathering points and in City Hall .
The ideal candidate will use reporting skills to place issue s in historical context and seek to provide insights that touch on:
- What's the scope of the conflict?
- How is it representative or not of what's going on in the rest of Vermont?
- How does what's happening compare to debates in other communities?
- What can the community learn from the conflict?
- What creative solutions have been tried to address that conflict?
- Contribute to the news site ' s news-of-now culture through morning- turn stories that offer readers insights into topics of immediate relevance.
- Takes basic photos and video to accompany reported stories.
- Bachelo r's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- This can be an entry-level position, but 1-2 years' reporting/newsroom experience is preferred.
- Strong command of grammar and AP style.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Ability to multi-task and perform under deadline.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Comfortable using social m edia such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
Burlington is the largest city in the state of Vermont and sits on the shores of Lake Champlain. The area offers the best of both worlds in terms of urban attractions and access to the outdoors. There's a flourishing food scene, craft breweries and cultural events, thanks to the multi-ethnic community that calls this place home. A short drive from Burlington offers some of the best skiing in the Northeast along with hiking in the warmer months.
The Free Press has served the area as a go-to news source for nearly 200 years. The news team's 2021 mission is to provide digital readers with unique and insightful local coverage that offers information that can help people better understand the forces at work in our community and the power they have in shaping their future.
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top