Oregon, USA • Salem, OR, USA Req #21338
Tuesday, February 8, 2022
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Things to Do Reporter
The Statesman Journal/ statesmanjournal.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, located in Salem, Oregon, has an opening for a Things to Do reporter.
This reporter will be as much a news reporter as a features reporter, with a beat that goes beyond events to also cover retail businesses, entertainment, activities and the people behind them.
We're looking for a reporter who is equally comfortable breaking the news about a new salon opening, creating a roundup of the 10 best things to do with the kids during spring break, writing an in-depth profile of the entrepreneur behind the trendy new Saturday market booth and uncovering the best yoga classes in town.
Your stories should assure our readers know what's coming before everyone else does and inspire them to check out new places and activities, but you also understand that there are times you must ask tough questions, make public records requests and hold people accountable.
You also work had to make sure you're representing all of our diverse communities in your coverage. (This beat will not include coverage of local restaurants, wineries or outdoor recreation but will complement the coverage of reporters who cover these).
Located in the Willamette Valley, Salem sits about an hour from the beautiful, rugged Oregon Coast. To the east are the Cascade Range mountains. Head north on Interstate 5 to reach Portland. There is a thriving outdoors community of hikers and cyclists.
Salem is the capital city of Oregon and as such is a hub of activity. With the Legislature in session for some time every year, Oregonians from throughout the state are always in Salem. The college scene is populated by four sites of higher learning: private Corban and Willamette universities, nearby public Western Oregon University; and in-town Chemeketa Community College.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Explores and reports on the widest range of news and trends, connecting with our audience's passion.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1-2 years' reporting/newsroom experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3 online samples of your stories with a concise explanation of why you decided to share each. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.