Salinas, CA, USA Req #9393
Monday, September 23, 2019
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit Gannett.com/Careers to learn more!
The Salinas Californian /thecalifornian.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK,is searching for a digital-savvy journalist to cover daily news and take on investigative and enterprise projects in Salinas, California. This is a temporary one-year position made possible through a partnership with the nonprofit, nonpartisan newsroom CalMatters.
The selected candidate produces smart, context-filled stories and other content on tight deadlines while developing high-impact journalism on longer project schedules. She or he understands the difference in writing for various platforms.
This role will fit your style if you're the kind of journalist who's always thinking of the next story - who has a pipeline of ideas and is eager to collaborate on sharpening and pursuing them. Spanish fluency strongly preferred.
Salinas is the county seat of Monterey County, California. Surrounded by fertile agricultural fields, it's known as the "Salad Bowl of the World" as well as the hometown of John Steinbeck. It's located just inland from Monterey Bay and approximately 60 miles south of San Jose.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our Salinas audience.
- Produce multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Identifies top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the beat and its key players. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Equally adept at breaking news stories, enterprise and trending stories and traditional long-form features.
- Engages with readers through various social media platforms.
- Demonstrates strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Writes quick-hit enterprise and trend stories off the news.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in journalism, communication or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Journalism/newsroom experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Willingness to take on assignments that require trips out of the office
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top