Boston, MA, USA • Cambridge, MA, USA • Massachusetts, USA • Virtual Req #19441
Tuesday, November 2, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Staff Writer - Style
Reviewed/ reviewed.com , a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a professional writer experienced in quick-turnaround journalism to join us as a full-time Staff Writer, Style covering clothing, shoes, accessories, apparel, and anything that people wear in their daily lives.
The ideal candidate will have a deep curiosity about the world, an appreciation for smart service journalism, and a willingness to get hands-on with products. You'll be part of a rapidly growing team and responsible for shaping daily content that enriches people's lives. You'll have a chance to share your work across the USA TODAY Network and beyond.
Our mission is to help people buy the best stuff and love what they already own. We do this by providing our audience informative, enjoyable, and genuinely useful content. Note that, while this particular role should be generally knowledgeable about style trends, the subject matter is about everyday clothing, not high fashion or luxury brands.
This position requires some editorial experience and a hunger for determining what is true about a product and what is just marketing hype. Previous experience with affiliate links is a plus. This is a full-time, salaried role working 40 hours per week.
This role will also require attendance on certain holidays or big sales, including but not limited to Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Amazon Prime Day. While we strongly prefer writers with professional experience, we are open to writers who only have experience with other kinds of publications, as long as they demonstrate an understanding of quick-turnaround content production and journalistic ethics.
Reviewed is one of the most influential sources on the internet when it comes to reviews of products like appliances, consumer technology, lifestyle products, and more. You'll learn on the job and become a key contributor to a team of talented, like-minded product nerds.
The Staff Writer, Style role reports to the Style editor. We are open to remote employees, but staffers are also able to work out of our (truly awesome) labs in Cambridge, MA.
- Write and produce multiple articles per week on style, clothing, apparel and/or accessories, including consumer education, how-tos, and product reviews.
- Conduct thorough reviews of different products, using your expertise to evaluate their worth and rank among their competitive set.
- Connect with prominent and up-and-coming brands in this space to secure loans or pre-release products for testing purposes.
- Establish and maintain your expertise in this subject area-you will be one of the go-to people in the newsroom for any questions about clothing, shoes, or anything that people wear.
- Work within the style team's editorial workflow to pitch, write, and publish stories in a timely manner.
- Produce your work in the appropriate CMS, with the proper formatting, image selection or creation, and link building.
- Be available to work during holidays and major sales, including but not limited to Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Amazon Prime Day.
- Source, test, and evaluate products within the style category.
- Create reviews of products based on lab testing results and personal subject matter expertise and use your judgment to rank their effectiveness and value for consumers.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience producing high-quality, rapid-turnaround editorial content.
- Ability to write within a clear format quickly and succinctly.
- An understanding of readers' needs, shopping habits, and budget constraints.
- Creative ability to identify and execute related features.
- Basic photo-editing skills and experience with programs like PhotoShop or Canva.
- Understanding of consumer search trends and shopping habits.
- Competitive drive to be a leading editorial voice.
- An understanding of journalistic ethics and commitment to upholding high ethical standards.
- Knowledge of SEO a plus.
- Experience with affiliate networks, like Amazon Affiliates, Skimlinks, Impact Radius, Trackonomics, or others is a plus.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Office work takes place in an open floor plan office, with several smaller meeting rooms and test labs throughout the building. Regardless of whether you're onsite or remote, you'll be expected to be accessible to the team throughout the day via face-to-face communication (whether in-person or over video calls), email, phone, and Slack.
Buying stuff is easy. Buying the right thing is hard. That's where we can help. Reviewed brings consumers the most trustworthy reviews available, written by our team of experts. We believe that tough, objective reviews are the best way to analyze products. We provide readers with insightful, practical, and entertaining stories that help them make informed decisions.
Reviewed is part of the USA TODAY Network, one of the largest news networks in the country, reaching over 150 million monthly unique visitors.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.