Sr. Writer, New Sports Betting Initiative
- McLean, VA
McLean, VA, USA • Virtual Req #17158
Friday, July 9, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Sr. Writer, New Sports Betting Initiative
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a qualified candidate to serve as the leading voice for a new sports betting website.
The position will focus on NFL coverage with the opportunity to cover other sports as well. The candidate should feel comfortable in the world of sports betting and be ready to react to the day's news, especially NFL news, by writing a mixture of blog posts, columns, and reported pieces that speaks directly to the sports betting community. Comfortable navigating the internet, the candidate would constantly be exploring new ways to share content with our audience, both on platform and off.
The ideal candidate will seek out stories that are of interest to the sports betting community using the latest in trends, metrics, and social tools to find stories that will resonate. We want someone who can be creative, write in a conversational style, and deliver sharp headlines. SEO experience and a strong social media presence are a plus.
While the position will focus primarily on the NFL, we are looking for someone who is interested in a little bit of everything and doesn't fear writing on a variety of topics. The position demands initiative, accuracy, urgency, and insight. It also demands the ability to find and identify stories and trends that are immediate and of importance to the sports betting community.
Quick writing and reporting skills are crucial. This person can juggle a high volume of stories daily with aplomb, all the while staying focused on the digital details of story production: Headlines, SEO, multimedia assets and other points of optimization.
- Write quickly, clearly, and with voice about the biggest news in sports betting, especially as it relates to the NFL.
- Have a deep knowledge of sports betting and a passion for writing about sports through this unique lens.
- Deliver sports and culture news via stories, video, newsletters, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies. This includes being adept at SEO.
- Identify top sports stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Explore new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate storyforms. This includes experimenting with long-tail (evergreen) content.
- Be a self-starter who is eager to take the lead on new coverage areas, as well as ambitious projects to grow our brand.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of digital journalism experience. Sports betting media experience is strongly preferred.
- Deep knowledge of the NFL, sports betting, and how the two connect.
- Able to file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations. Also, comfortable using social media to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understand reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excel in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital-first mission.
- Collaborate well with others and can work with a team - including teammates and colleagues who are remote.
- Open to off-typical schedules including the possibility of early mornings, late nights and/or weekend work. Able to be flexible as needed.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to six online samples of your work. Show us what you've written, produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top