Sr. News Planner - remote
- Middletown, RI
Middletown, RI, USA • Virtual Req #15839
Tuesday, June 1, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Sr. Planner help to manage a Planning Desk team that coordinates, plans and works to produce the content plans for every website in the New England Region, plus 16 daily and 84 weekly print publications. The se team leads work to guide efficiently and effectively the flow of local content to the regional DOT, producing a rich content plan each week for various weekly and daily publications.
The team leads must coordinate schedules for all the planners on the team and work closely with one another, and the DOT and print studios to problem solve and innovate. They will help coordinate shared content across properties. In addition, the team lead will have responsibilities similar to planners, including ensuring that the right content is delivered to the right audience in the right way on the right platforms at the right time . This strategic approach allows us to attract new audiences, deepen our connection with them, convert them into paying supporters and keep them for life.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of audience analytic tools such as Parse.ly, CrowdTangle , Google Trends, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and the ability to interpret and apply such data.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
- A dept at managing multiple publications, both daily and weekly, and handling planning for news, sports, local, features and opinion for both online and print.
- Coordinating closely with the DOT and the design studios to ensure strong home pages, subscriber only stories, front page and section covers that reflect the interests of the audiences specific to the communities the publications serve.
- Promoting effective communications through technology and adapting quickly to changing deadlines and breaking stories. They must enforce and meet deadlines.
- Collaborates across departments, including but not limited to design studios, digital newsrooms, photo departments.
- Problem-solver who is also an independent thinker.
- Reports to the Planning Desk co-director but is authorized to make independent decisions as warranted.
- Has strong news judgment.
- Knowledge of today's news landscape as well as issues of local importance.
- High-level analytical skills with demonstrated ability to identify breaking news and other developing stories.
- Ability to handle an unpredictable and demanding schedule in today's round-the-clock news cycle.
- Collaborates with digital and studio teams to ensure a complete print report for various markets.
- Is knowledgeable of the topics of interest for the specific markets assigned to the planner.
- Works with multiple staffs to produce on deadline for multiple market.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Teams to communicate effectively across multiple properties. Ability to use CUE and Presto at a high level.
- Excellent coaching and team-building skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combined education and work experience.
- Three to five years of news experience.
- Previous manager job is a plus, but not required.
- Proven proficiency in digital information programming by platform.
- Strong communication and collaboration experience.
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
- Remote, hybrid or in-person position.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- News sometimes requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
Back to top