Sr. Editor, Search and Optimization
- McLean, VA
McLean, VA, USA ● Virtual Req #14316
Wednesday, March 3, 2021
Senior Editor, Search and Optimization
USA TODAY, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an editor with SEO/SEM strategy experience to join us as a full-time Sr. Editor for Search and Optimization.
The ideal candidate will be forward-thinking, has a knack for quickly solving problems and excels while collaborating in a team environment to create engaging content. They will help empower the newsroom and help USA TODAY create content that best serves readers and is easily discoverable through organic search, Google News and paid search.
Other duties include helping to coordinate the optimization of long-term projects and tentpole content plans, working with editors to prepare keyword research well in advance of events and building an evergreen content strategy. The candidate will also coordinate with the USA TODAY product organization to create an engaging story page experience for the search audience and also build an immersive experience within the content management system that helps drive the newsroom's search knowledge and strategies. They will also oversee a team of SEO experts that will be immersed with editorial teams to monitor SERP and optimize content on a daily basis.
• Collaborate with section editors to identify and execute on fully optimized and search-friendly topics and presentations.
• Monitor SERP daily and help the newsroom optimize content both before and after initial publish to help USA TODAY maintain a competitive edge in search.
• Ensure newsroom is maintaining keyword diversity with published content.
• Provide one-on-one training to newsroom staff.
• Proficiently use SEO tools to track keywords over time and provide actionable insights to content team.
• Partner with and support SEO champions so they are a force multiplier within their sections.
• Collaborate with analytics team to set up appropriate reports to accurately track progress.
• Willingness to brainstorm product enhancements to craft multi-platform growth strategies
• Bachelor's or master's degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• At least four years of experience editing in a news organization
• Ability to think and act tactically and strategically.
• Proficiency in AP style and grammar.
• Strong collaboration and communication skills.
• A mindset of growth and change, and a willingness to try new things and learn from the results
• Mastery of SEO and how people discover content on different search platforms, including voice
• Experience with NewsDashboard, Conductor Searchlight or other SEO tool experience is a plus
• Experience with Google Ads: Search (Google AdWords) or other search marketing tools is a plus.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top