Sr Director, News - Digital
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Senior News Director: Digital
The Cincinnati Enquirer, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a talented, results-driven journalist with a passion for digital storytelling to serve as our newsroom leader of digital operations. The person in this senior-level position will play an important role shaping the strategic vision for our digital growth, and help our team execute those strategies at the highest level.
The editor in this role will need great news sense and a deep understanding of how we seek out and build the biggest audiences possible for our content. The ideal candidate is someone who loves to coach others, sets high standards and has a record of developing strategies for growth and engagement. This person will work with the content creation teams to develop strategies for maximizing the impact and delivery of content at optimal times and with platform needs in mind. The director is also a key driver for innovation in digital content and products, and will supervise our digital desks and operations. The editor serves as a member of the senior newsroom management team and reports to the editor.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Sophisticated knowledge of digital platforms and social media
- Expert knowledge on analytics and other tools to measure reach and impact.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and media consumption habits
- Ability to build coalitions around evolving needs
- Self-motivation and self-direction
- Industry knowledge
- Effective communication skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing news environment
- Readiness to apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES
- Oversee the programming, production, packaging and promotion of newsroom content across various digital platforms, with an emphasis on mobile platforms.
- Oversee "real time" content creation based on trending topics, breaking news and timely, high-utility information.
- Make daily content decisions based on news judgment, knowledge of platforms and insights from audience metrics.
- Help newsroom understand how audiences consume content across digital platforms.
- Work effectively across all divisions (sales, marketing, news) and help set key strategies and direction for the organization.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top