Sr Director, Benefits
Gannett is a next-generation media company that empowers communities to connect, act, and thrive. With an unparalleled local-to-national reach, we successfully connect consumers, communities and businesses. With the iconic USA TODAY, 92 strong local media organizations in 33 states and Guam, and with more than 160 local news brands online in the U.K., we provide rich content through hundreds of outstanding affiliated digital, mobile and print products. Our goal is to re-imagine our traditional media roots by creating innovative products and services that leverage our role as an information provider and reach our customers whenever and wherever. Explore the possibilities as the Senior Director of Benefits and help us tell our story.
You will be responsible for the benefits design and deployment with emphasis on health care and wellness, retirement plans and work/life balance, including the overall development of company policy, plans and principles. This role is a key member of the People team, serving as a critically important and strategic position.
- Provide overall strategic direction for all aspects of the company's employee benefits policy and plans including Health Care and Wellness, Retirement and Savings, Welfare and other related benefit plans such as Disability, Life, etc.
- Partner closely with Corporate Finance and Legal to ensure the company's benefits plans, programs and initiatives are competitive, affordable and deliverable and consistent with the company's employment proposition.
- Conceptualize and present business case for changes, selecting and overseeing the various benefits consulting and services used by the company.
- Actively manage the vendors for all benefits ensuring customer service levels remain high while providing relevant, required and timely data to our corporate partners at competitive costs.
- Maintain knowledge of cutting edge benefits programs, trends, and "best practices" in all aspects of Benefits management. Stay alert and ahead of emerging government and IRS regulations, practices and policies, evaluating the appropriate responses and suggesting changes in policies and programs as necessary.
- Lead and manage a team of benefits analysts and advisors responsible for benefits.
- Ensure effective delivery of benefit offerings and build plans for continuous improvement.
- Oversee the effective communication of the company's employee benefits plans and programs, changes, to optimize impact and understanding.
- Work closely with Corporate Communication organization to develop a strong value proposition and brand and clear and concise communication materials.
- Deliver results that are aligned to both the company and business unit strategy and people strategy to ultimately influence a unified culture.
- Focus externally on best practices, regulatory requirements and the competitive environment.
- Collaborate early and often with our employees and partners internally and externally.
- Build open and honest relationships with peers and business clients.
- Represent company with Trade Associations and Benefits related professional organizations.
- Responsible for stock administration.
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA or Advanced Degree in related field is preferred
- Ten years of experience with at least five years managing a benefits team in a fortune 500 company
- Experience with Federal/State relations and benefits law knowledge and ERISA expertise. Familiarity with legal/tax issues in benefits, including labor relations.
- Experience with multiple vendors, including vendor management and negotiations.
- Experience with retirement plans both Defined Benefits (DB) and Defined Contribution (DC) plans
- Experience with mergers and acquisitions
- Strong communicator and partner with all levels of a large, sophisticated company, including the CEO. Must collaborate internally across business units, in addition to maintaining an external focus on best practices, regulatory requirements and the competitive environment.
- Sound business acumen and judgment and the sophistication and maturity to contribute to a best in class People function.
- Experience with equity administration is a plus.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top