Sports Writer - UT Knoxville
Digital college sports writer wanted to cover University of Tennessee football.
The selected member will be digital savvy, equally capable of producing a video as he/she is with writing a breaking news story or with writing a quick-turnaround analysis from a game.
The chosen applicant will be a member of a 20-plus USA TODAY Network-Tennessee sports group which was recently honored with 20 Associated Press Sports Awards in 2017.
- Maintain a close working relationship with potential news sources, real as well as general reporting.
- Engage readers through social media by responding to reader comments and pursing other avenues of interaction with audiences.
- Be on alert at all times for breaking news in order to generate story ideas and plan coverage effectively. Write stories with digital focus, shoot video to tell the story.
- Develop updates to live stories throughout the day, with several deadlines built into the workday.
- Have the ability to post breaking news.
- Must be able operate a camera equipped with still and video capabilities.
- Must be able to write clearly and succinctly on a variety of topics, which may extend beyond the primary focus of the beat.
- Basic knowledge of web publishing tools and/or the ability to learn new technology quickly.
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to meet deadline in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- BS/BA in news/media discipline or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in a related field.
Interested applicants should apply and also send a digital resume to Phil Kaplan at [email protected], include your top five links that show your expertise in digital storytelling.
We offer competitive pay and benefits including: Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage, Life Insurance, 401(k) Savings Plan, Paid Vacation, Paid Company Holidays, Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community, Employee Discount Program and more!
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top