Sports Writer - UT Knoxville
Digital college sports writer wanted to assist in coverage of University of Tennessee football and lead reporter for men's basketball.
The selected member will be digital savvy, equally capable of producing a video as he/she is with writing a breaking news story or with writing a quick-turnaround analysis from a game.
The chosen applicant will be a member of a 20-plus USA TODAY Network-Tennessee sports group which was recently honored with 20 Associated Press Sports Editors awards in 2017.
- Maintain a close working relationship with potential news sources, real as well as general reporting.
- Engage readers through social media by responding to reader comments and pursing other avenues of interaction with audiences.
- Be on alert at all times for breaking news in order to generate story ideas and plan coverage effectively. Write stories with digital focus, shoot video to tell the story.
- Develop updates to live stories throughout the day, with several deadlines built into the workday.
- Have the ability to post breaking news.
- Must be able operate a camera equipped with still and video capabilities.
- Must be able to write clearly and succinctly on a variety of topics, which may extend beyond the primary focus of the beat.
- Basic knowledge of web publishing tools and/or the ability to learn new technology quickly.
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to meet deadline in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- BS/BA in news/media discipline or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in a related field.
Interested applicants should apply and also send a digital resume to Phil Kaplan at [email protected], include your top five links that show your expertise in digital storytelling.
What we Offer:
As a part of the USA Today Network, the nation's largest media and marketing solutions company, we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid vacation time, personal and sick leave, and tuition reimbursement. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Miranda’s main goal is creating unique, practical layouts that perfectly pair graphics and content to appeal to users. She considers readability and presentation of magazines paramount.
Back to top