Sports Reporter - Vanderbilt athletics
Nashville, TN, USA ● Tennessee, USA Req #14097
Monday, March 1, 2021
The Tennessean is seeking an energetic and experienced sports reporter to cover Vanderbilt athletics. Coverage will include football, basketball and baseball programs.
This reporter, based in Nashville, will help lead coverage of the Commodores on and off the field and play a vital role within a dynamic sports news-gathering operation. The ability to break news is critical, but more importantly, it's about understanding what moves the needle with our audience and turns casual readers into subscribers.
We are looking for someone who is digitally savvy, raring to make our coverage better and wants to be part of a winning team, dedicated to producing sports content with impact, excitement and information.
The content will also appear in print and digital in Tennessee as part of the USA TODAY NETWORK South Region, in addition to USA Today.
• Fundamental understanding of how to execute tactics on growing subscriptions through headlines, topics, timeliness and storytelling.
• Commitment to becoming the leading voice in area of expertise.
• Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
• Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
• Works with region sports director and content strategists to evaluate what's working and what's not and uses metrics to develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
• Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
• Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
• Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
• Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• College or other high-level sports beat experience preferred; strong digital skills required.
• Ability to develop strong sourcing and produce content that takes advantage of all formats available to us, including social media, mobile, desktop, video, television and print.
• Proficiency on social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
• Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
• Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
• Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
• Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
• Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
• Ability to work some nights and weekends.
• Comfort building a beat and communicating with athletes and coaches.
• This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
• Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
Interested and qualified candidates, when applying, please upload your materials combined into one single document with as much of the following as possible: your updated resume, a brief cover letter, and a few examples of your work (portfolio/work samples/clips/links, etc.) **Your materials must be combined into a single document attachment / upload (preferably in PDF format). The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top