Sports Reporter - University of Kansas Jayhawks
Kansas, USA • Topeka, KS, USA Req #16017
Wednesday, May 19, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Sports reporter covering University of Kansas Jayhawks
The Topeka Capital-Journal and 13 other newsrooms across Kansas are seeking a sports reporter to produce exclusive enterprise and daily stories on the University of Kansas Jayhawks, including analysis, features, recruiting news and more. This beat offers the opportunity to go out and find the best stories about KU sports.
This reporter is expected to consistently break exclusive news. He or she will identify, produce and post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across multiple platforms, including social media.
The KU Jayhawks have an enthusiastic and widespread fan base. This reporter will provide content that goes beyond the game score and into the why's and how's of the nationally known program.
The Capital-Journal is one of 14 newsrooms in Kansas that are part of the USA TODAY network. Content produced by the KU sports reporter will appear in those newspapers and on those websites.
The Capital-Journal is committed to diversity and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
In this role, you will:
- Research, report and produce compelling content that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Work with newsroom leaders to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests tailored to appropriate platforms.
- Contribute to the community's greater good through impactful journalism.
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least a year of professional journalism experience or significant internship experience.
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
- A valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
The application only allows one document upload, so please provide your materials combined as a single attachment (resume, cover letter, work samples, portfolio, links, etc.). This will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top