Minnesota, USA • St Cloud, MN, USA Req #16981
Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Do you want to report on how communities can be improved and tell the stories of those who are already doing it? Are you equally intrigued by interviewing activists and sorting through data to see if government solutions worked - or not? Then we want you.
The St. Cloud Times / sctimes.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a reporter who wants to dig deeper than the usual beat work to create reports that highlight where Minnesota, and specifically Central Minnesota, is finding ways to improve life for specific community segments and the region as a whole.
You'll have the freedom to move from stories about social justice and health to workforce issues, discrimination, youth issues, environment and beyond. If someone is working on improving a situation (or if no one is), it's fair game.
We are seeking a candidate who is positive, curious, self-motivated and can learn about and explain key community issues. Prime candidates will have some experience. Excellent reporting, writing and video skills and a strong social media voice are part of the package.
We're a digital-first newsroom with proven success in delivering nationally award-winning journalism, and we use audience metrics to help guide our coverage. Your co-workers are dedicated fellow reporters, photographers and editors who are committed to experimentation, teamwork and serving our community.
We want to help make you better, and we want you to help us do the same!
- Create content (articles, videos, photos, and social media posts) about local news that accurately informs, entertains, and engages key audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work toward becoming the community's leading voice for news.
- Work with editor to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos, and graphics).
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-3 years' journalism experience preferred (although we'll consider stellar new graduates for this role), excellent grammar and writing skills and visual storytelling competency.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- Willingness to relocate to the St. Cloud area.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top