- Milwaukee, WI
- Rochester, NY
- New York, NY
- Tucson, AZ
- Flexible / Remote
- Minneapolis, MN
- Nashville, TN
- Memphis, TN
- Fort Myers, FL
- Manhattan, NY
- Springfield, MO
- McLean, VA
- Asbury Park, NJ
Asbury Park, NJ 07712, USA • Fort Myers, FL, USA • Manhattan, New York, NY, USA • McLean, VA, USA • Memphis, TN, USA • Milwaukee, WI, USA • Minneapolis, MN, USA • Nashville, TN, USA • New York, NY, USA • Rochester, NY, USA • Springfield, MO, USA • Tucson, AZ, USA • Virtual Req #15687
Monday, May 10, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Software Engineer works as part of a product engineering team to maintain existing systems running in production and build new systems to support our business. The position includes self directed work and collaborative work with resources within and outside of the team. For self directed work, you will be expected to communicate status to the team's Lead Engineer, regularly, and for regular project work, you should be able to function in the team's standard processes for work management. A majority of the work will be in web services and other enabling technologies from databases to caching tools. The team's hosting platforms is entirely cloud based.
- Externally directed engineering, much of your work will be as a part of the larger team and working on features or tasks that interface with other parts of your team's overall deliverables. Operating within the team's documented process is imperative.
- Self directed engineering, when you receive a larger, undefined task, you will be expected to help set expectation on the size of the task and will be asked to regularly communicate status of the task, so stakeholders understand its progress.
- Improve code quality through writing unit tests, automation and code reviews.
On Call, you will be part of a rotation that would put you as the primary respondent to failures in the system that are discovered in out-of-work hours.
- Experience with AWS or other cloud hosting platform.
- Basic understanding of front-end programming, as front-end engineers are your
- Basic understanding of configuration and maintenance of cloud platforms such as
Amazon AWS and Google Cloud.
- Experience with monitoring tools, like New Relic and SumoLogic, and alerting to
ensure our customers experience the level of service and reliability they expect.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and able to work with teams who
are using them.
- Experience with git source control and Github.
- Ability to work with multiple teams.
- Ability to work effectively with a geographically dispersed team.
- Bachelor's of Computer Science or equivalent degree in technology-related studies;
MS in technology related field; or Bachelor's in unrelated area accompanied by multiple years of proven work experience in technology leadership.
- Understanding of other systems programming languages: Go, Python, Kotlin
- Experience tuning applications to increase performance.
- Experience automating AWS and Google Cloud configurations using technologies
- such as Cloudformation and Terraform.
- Extensive knowledge of current and emerging Open Source technologies and trends.
- Technical curiosity, when something interests you, you have to try it out for yourself
- and you find a way to get others excited about it as well.
- Pragmatism with regard to application of craft, technology, and currently available
- team and resources.
- A strong troubleshooter of distributed systems.
- A strong sense of customer advocacy.
• May require up to 10%
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top