Senior Software Development Manager
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Sr. Software Development Manager
We are looking for a passionate Sr. Software Development Manager with an outgoing, approachable demeanor and superb communication skills to mentor a team of Software Engineers working on our enterprise content management platform. You will have an enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of the workflow and toolset used every day by thousands of journalists as they produce content for nationally-recognized brands.
As a leader in our Content Engineering team, your responsibilities will be full stack with a concentration on front end development. You will have significant influence on our strategy by helping define the roadmap, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product. You will lead and help drive the technical decision-making process, while building innovative, mission-critical, high-volume applications.
You'll report directly to a VP Engineering who recently joined us from Audible. You will spend your time coaching Software Engineers down a clear career path that you help create. You will provide your squad with great ideas, motivation and growth opportunities.
In order to succeed in this position, you'll need 5+ years of management experience with a strong front end software development background, OOP language experience, strong leadership and mentorship skills, Agile/Scrum environment experience, and ideally a Computer Science degree or certifications. You'll spend less than half of your time hands-on coding as you lead and coach teams of Software Engineers throughout the full development life cycle.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and launch core product features
- Apply thought leadership and a strategic mindset to continuously improve the team
- Provide business, application and technology consulting in feasibility discussions with technology team members and business partners
- Influence our overall strategy by helping define product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product
- Influence software engineering teams in an Agile environment, leveraging advanced software development practices to deliver on our roadmap
- Knowledge, passion for and ability to recruit, motivate, mentor and lead Software Engineers developing in Node.js, Angular,, etc.
- Establish technical credibility while interacting with cross-functional technology teams across the broader Gannett engineering organization
Skills and Experience:
- You must be openly passionate, demonstrating hustle, a commitment to teamwork and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners)
- Proven ability to set technical strategy, applying an in-depth understanding of the applicable product strategy and business environment
- Proven ability to champion ideas and drive technical teams to consensus
- Practical experience designing and building large-scale distributed systems that are reliable, scalable, and highly performant
- Excellent problem-solving skills involving complex and ambiguous issues
- You must have thrived and succeeded in delivering high-quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least five years of experience as a Software Engineering Manager
- Strong front end application development experience
- Demonstrated professional development consuming APIs and web services
- JIRA and Confluence
- Build automation
- Automated test tools
- Developing and deploying applications hosted in AWS or similar cloud environments
- API Interaction: Interaction with REST APIs
- Continuous Integration: Jenkins. We use GitHub for source control with a GitHub Flow code review and merge protocol. We aim for comprehensive unit and integration test coverage (using Mocha), and follow Agile process methods, with defined sprints.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top