Senior Hadoop Engineer
Gannett is seeking a Senior Hadoop Engineer to join our Data Solutions team focused on new initiatives for Gannett. Data Solutions is designing and implementing our next generation enterprise data capability, creating a 360° view of Gannett's consumers and business customers across the online and offline worlds, which will improve marketing, monetization, and product development.
As a Senior Hadoop Engineer you will utilize your existing experience and individual judgement to take a large role in the engineering, testing and deployment, and architecture development of the Data Platform, built on the Hadoop ecosystem. Specific duties include:
- Define and scope iterative solutions to achieve both tactical and strategic data needs, working with fellow Hadoop engineers, architects and management to augment a flexible, robust Data Platform
- Create an innovative environment in which experimentation is welcomed and new solutions can be quickly implemented and iterated, while still maintaining a high level of quality.
- Lead B2B (business-to-business) big-data analysis effort, working closely with our corresponding team in Strategy to establish data management and analysis best practices
Required Technical Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Minimum of 5 years of years of Object-Oriented programming experience with a minimum of 4 years of Java experience, and 3 years of Hadoop experience
- Must demonstrate strong, proven knowledge of Hadoop and related technologies , specifically deep insights into Spark, Hive, Sqoop and Pig, as well as a workflow tool like Oozie or AirFlow.
- Solid general development skills, with proven experience working on complex big data systems as well as general database technologies like Oracle, and NoSQL databases like Cassandra or similar.
- Experience must include web services and RESTful APIs, processing of time series analytics using Druid or similar, working in a cloud environment like AWS and devops tasks on Linux, working in an Agile environment.
- Must demonstrate exceptional troubleshooting and strong architectural skills, and clearly and effectively describe this in both a verbal and written format
Gannett is a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top