Senior Developer, Content Engineering (Remote)
- Broken Arrow, OK
Virtual Req #11517
Thursday, October 1, 2020
Gannett's world-class suite of newsroom tools, including our proprietary CMS, Presto, is maintained by our Content Engineering team. Within that team, we are seeking a senior software developer to join our authoring development group. As a member of our group, you'll help maintain the primary content authoring tool for over 4,000 journalists across the nation, and you'll be joining at an exciting time, as we'll expect you to contribute to our ongoing re-imagining and re-envisioning of the whole suite from top to bottom. We are looking for a skilled developer who can help maintain our authoring system, but even more importantly we are looking for a passionate technologist who can establish and defend an opinion on how the system should work in the future.
- Work collaboratively within our team, with stakeholders, and with outside development groups, to create and maintain both core functionality and user-facing features of a world-class content management system
- Take ownership of delivering our CMS, from participating in requirement gathering and design, to documentation, to execution and review, to testing, to release
- Integrate internal as well as third-party web services and components
- Consistently follow and continue to help improve our processes including source control, deployment and issue tracking
- Document solutions to institutionalize knowledge for the development, operational, support, and end user communities
As we are constantly reconsidering the makeup of our technology stack, expertise in the group of technologies we currently use is encouraged but absolutely not required. These technologies include: Web Standards (HTML/CSS/JS), Node.JS, Continuous Integration (GitHub Actions, Jenkins), Testing Frameworks (Mocha, Karma, Cypress), Docker, Kubernetes, Couchbase, RabbitMQ, Infrastructure as Code (Terraform), Google Cloud Platform (Storage, Pub/Sub, Spanner, Functions, Stackdriver), and more.
Experience with a wide range of technologies and disciplines from is much more important to us than direct experience with the technologies we happen to use today. The ideal candidate is a full-stack developer who can think critically about what the right tool for a given job is, and make a case for why a certain technology should or should not be used in a given situation.
In addition, we are looking for a candidate with:
- 5 years web development and integration experience
- Demonstrated professional development experience developing and consuming APIs and web services
- Experience with data driven systems with a solid understanding of database structures, queries and search
- Experience debugging and analyzing issues in a complex, service orientated environment
- Practical knowledge of software development methodologies
- Bachelor's degree expected in a technical discipline, but compensating experience may be considered.
- We'd be delighted if you also had experience with any of the following:
- JIRA and Confluence
- Build automation
- Automated test tools
- Developing and deploying applications hosted in cloud environments
- Working with and developing for media related web sites
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top