Senior Data Engineer
- Los Angeles, CA
Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA Req #14466
Friday, March 26, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Senior Data Engineer
As Senior Data Engineer, you will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data pipeline and data architectures. In addition, you will be optimizing data flow between cross-functional teams as well as applications. You will be supporting our software engineers, database teams, analysts and data scientists on data initiatives that will enhance our products and operations. This role requires self-direction and the ability to support the data needs of product, engineering and data science. We are looking for candidates that are curious and excited by data challenges and are eager to optimize or help re-design our company's data architecture.
We are a fast-paced product-led engineering team working to build the next generation of Digital Marketing management systems partnering with Google, Bing, Yahoo, Facebook and Snap. If you are profoundly technical, analytical, and eager to build solutions that directly impact the company's core values, we want to talk to you!
About Your Responsibilities:
• Create and maintain data pipeline architecture
• Assemble large, complex data sets that meeting functional/non-functional business requirements
• Build and/or enhance infrastructure required for extraction, transformation and loading of data from a wide variety of internal and external data sources
• Deep understanding of cloud data offerings and ability to apply when necessary
• Build monitoring and automated testing to ensure data consistency and availability
• Work with stakeholders in product, engineering and data science
• Create custom reports in a modular manner to allow for re-use
• Work with data science and analysts for increased functionality in our data systems
• Practical knowledge on technology selection and choosing the right solution
• Ability to join data sets from disassociated data sources and extract value
• Strong time management and organizational skills
• 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineering role
• BS or MS in Computer Science or related fields or equivalent work experience
• Experience with Google Cloud services such as GKE, Big Query, Big Table, PubSub (equivalent experience with AWS RedShift, Kinesis, etc accepted)
• Advanced working knowledge with SQL and relational databases including MySQL, key value stores, NoSQL databases, and custom datastores
• Experience building data pipelines and data sets
• Ability to work with unstructured datasets
• Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools (i.e.Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow) and when to apply
• Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, etc.
• Understanding of tools such as Storm, Spark-Streaming
• Experience in Digital Marketing / Online advertising (SEO/SEM) an advantage
• Familiar with Agile / Scrum methodologies and principles
• Eager attitude ready to solve challenges on a daily basis
• Curious and motivated by new concepts and ideas
• Driven to accomplish goals, setting trends and obliterating the agenda
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top