Corpus Christi, TX, USA • Texas, USA Req #18553
Thursday, September 16, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Senior Content Manager
The Corpus Christi Caller-Times/ caller.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK , seeks a dynamic, digitally focused innovator for a senior content editor position, who can lead and supervise a reporting team.
This editor will help lead the news operation and must love coaching and developing journalists to reveal important news, create stories with context and clarity.
The right candidate will have a laser focus on growing digital audience through engaging content and effective use of social media, SEO, and other tactics.
This person will have a passion for different storytelling approaches, from Instagram stories to video, and will work to identify and launch new verticals tailored to specific audiences.
This is a hands-on, player-coach position, with an emphasis on coaching. The editor will supervise several staffers and will use metrics and audience research to guide coverage decisions.
The job requires a mentor who can help reporters improve their newsgathering and writing skills, cultivate deep sourcing and take on ever-more sophisticated work. But it also requires a player who can nimbly post updates, join in team reporting projects and do what needs to be done help our newsrooms create relevant coverage that not only increases our reach but also drives loyalty and encourages more readers to subscribe.
The job requires a problem solver who is well-organized, can work independently and exercises solid news judgment. Collaboration and teamwork skills are a must; this editor will work closely with a planning desk for both print and digital content and a digital optimization team.
The Caller-Times pays competitive salary and excellent benefits. Corpus Christi sits on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, about three hours southwest of Houston and two hours south of San Antonio. The warm climate, beach, diverse population and rapid growth make Corpus Christi a dynamic area for telling great stories.
Our staff consistently is among the top award winners in the region for a mid-sized daily.
- Help the staff hone skills in a wide range of storytelling: from real time digital updates to narrative storytelling, employing alternative story forms and multimedia.
- Use metrics and analytics to determine how to best reach and grow the audience.
- Increase digital audience and engagement and grow digital subscriptions.
- Be a teacher, not just an editor. After all, everyone needs a coach.
- Be courageous about experimentation.
- Be a team player who likes to collaborate with coworkers.
- Apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of experience in journalism writing, editing or management roles and demonstration of strong editing skills. Editing experience is preferred, but skilled reporters eager for a leadership role will be considered.
- Solid news judgment.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.