Arkansas, USA • Mountain Home, AR, USA Req #14639
Sunday, June 13, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Are you a journalist who values community news? Do you want the opportunity to shape news coverage in a town that relies on you as its primary source of information? Do you want a chance to contribute to a larger state and regional team all while living in the beautiful surroundings of the Ozarks?
The Baxter Bulletin/ baxterbulletin.com in Mountain Home, Arkansas , a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a Reporter/Coach to join the team.
This is a digital-first news organization that covers life on the southern edge of the Ozarks. The ideal candidate will write daily stories while working with one other news reporter to shape coverage decisions. Planning will be second nature and is key to the success of this position and team.
Our goal is to get away from traditional a traditional beat structure and focus on coverage priorities. We want to create enterprise journalism that represents what is important to Mountain Home. We will seek out watchdog and solutions journalism opportunities but shy away from meeting and other institutional coverage. We want our journalism to reflect the diversity and shine the light on marginalized people and their struggles.
Strong communication and community-building skills are key for this position as this person is expected to be the face of the Baxter Bulletin, engaging regularly with the community. This person will also play a key role in USA TODAY NETWORK teams in Arkansas and the South Region, collaborating on stories of statewide and regional importance.
The journalism is supported by a regional Digital Optimization Team and a dedicated digital and print planner, allowing this position to focus on journalism and growing digital subscribers of the Baxter Bulletin.
Located in the northern part of Arkansas, Mountain Home offers a low cost of living that is minutes from both Norfork and Bull Shoals lakes in the Ozarks and is home for fishing and outdoors enthusiasts. Baxter County is about 90 minutes from the excitement of Branson, Missouri, and about three hours north of the state capital in Little Rock.
- Have editing experience in a digitally focused newsroom.
- Know how to help reporters tell stories in real time and include alternate story forms and visual elements that drive the narrative.
- Understand how metrics and analytics can help us determine how to best reach our audience.
- Know how to turn readers into subscribers by helping reporters tell relevant stories that sing.
- Be a teacher, not just an editor. After all, everyone needs a coach.
- Be courageous about experimentation.
- Be a team player who likes to collaborate with their coworkers.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of journalism experience.
- Leadership and editing experience preferred, but not required.
- Experience with creating news coverage plans.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise with social media and comfortable using these platforms to engage with the community.
- Understands metrics and how to use these to inform coverage decisions.
- Enjoys collaborating and working with teammates both locally and remote.
- This position will include some weekends and evening work as news dictates.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.