Reporter, Local Government
- Iowa City, IA
Iowa City, IA, USA Req #15943
Monday, May 17, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Reporter, local government
The Iowa City Press-Citizen is seeking a reporter to produce enterprise and watchdog work focusing on issues and trends affecting Iowa City and Johnson County, Iowa.
This is a "next generation" city hall beat. The reporter will monitor the workings of city and county government, but will focus on developing impactful enterprise relevant to readers' lives. Database skills are a plus.
This reporter is expected to consistently break exclusive news and to post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
Source development is critical to the beat. This reporter will cultivate relationships with city and county officials, business leaders and community stakeholders to break stories. Responsibilities include tracking legislation and public policy that impact local cities and taxpayers. This reporter also handles general assignments and breaking news as needed.
Iowa City is home to the University of Iowa, making it a vibrant hub of arts, entertainment, culture and college sports. The city and surrounding areas are among the fastest-growing regions in Iowa and regularly make national "best places to live" lists.
In this role, you will:
- Research, report and produce compelling content that continuously grows audience by informing and engaging readers.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Work with newsroom leaders to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests tailored to appropriate platforms.
- Contribute to the community's greater good through impactful journalism.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Prior professional journalism experience or significant internship experience.
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
- A valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top